James is a Senior Associate in the Employment team.
Experienced in providing employers with strategic advice on employment law and support on personnel matters, including on recruitment, disciplinary and grievance issues and terminations; reviewing and drafting employment documents (including letters of appointment, directors’ service agreements, employment contracts, staff handbooks and bonus and incentive schemes).
Working with our Corporate team, James advises on the employment aspects of business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, outsourcing arrangements, company restructuring and group reorganisations. He is experienced in advising on large scale redundancy programmes, TUPE transfers and collective / trade union issues.
James also assists senior personnel in negotiating employment terms, finalising severance packages and advising on the enforceability of post-termination restrictions.
Clients include owner-managed businesses and private companies to international corporates with a global presence operating across multiple jurisdictions.
Recent examples of how James has supported clients include:
- supporting a business in their acquisition of a $500 million industrial plant by providing strategic advice in relation to a unionised workforce and the transfer out of an underfunded defined benefit pension scheme;
- guiding a car manufacturer through the TUPE transfer of several thousand employees across five European jurisdictions following a business sale;
- saving an employer £1.4 million by making a novel and successful application to HMRC for tax clearance under s.406 ITEPA 2003 in relation to a £3.2 million employment tribunal award;
- securing the discharge of an interim injunction on behalf of a former employee in the financial services sector alleged to have acted in breach of confidentiality and post-termination restrictions; and
- defending eight respondents in the financial services sector (including UK, Russian and Cayman Island companies) against a £33 million sex discrimination, victimisation, harassment and whistleblowing claim with complex psychiatric injury, stigma and mitigation arguments.