James is a Partner in the Restructuring and Insolvency team.
He assists insolvency practitioners, directors, debtors, creditors, and third parties on any aspect of business distress. He is experienced in supporting clients on insolvency, restructuring, corporate reorganisations, business sales or purchases, bankruptcy, company voluntary arrangements (CVAs) and asset recovery.
In addition, James supports directors in disqualification proceedings, and is experienced in advising hedge funds and family offices on distress situations and opportunities, including debt trading and bond defaults.
Recent examples of how James has supported clients include:
- preventing a company from being struck off in the High Court, with just days before dissolution was threatened;
- restructuring a portfolio of under-performing hedge fund assets and trading financial instruments to mitigate losses;
- completing a number of buy-outs as part of insolvency proceedings for Simons Group construction and property business, including resolving problems on the reuse of the founders’ name;
- advising the CEO of Kids Company in regard to the high-profile disqualification of trustees and senior management;
- successfully defending a chain of Italian restaurants in London from winding up proceedings; and
- restructuring a gym and fitness group including the disposal of dormant companies.