Janice is a Senior Associate in the Landed Estates team.
She is a Chartered Legal Executive (CILEX) and works with landowners with large estates, as well as trustees, beneficiaries, charities and individual property owners. She handles the sale or purchase of urban and rural residential property, often of high value including ecclesiastical and charity property and therefore needing to comply with additional regulations in regard to the Charities Act or an Ecclesiastical Measure.
Janice acts for Lenders with regards to estate finance and borrowers with regards to bank security, including for houses in multiple occupation (HMOs). In regard to matters of title, she handles upgrades of title and first registrations at the Land Registry and helps straighten out complex title issues for purchasers.
Drafting bespoke tenancy agreements for clients including on a ‘gift and leaseback’ basis as part of inheritance and succession planning for wealthy families and advises clients on letting arrangements to ensure leasehold enfranchisement rights are not inadvertently permitted. Janice also advises on property issues such as easements for water, electricity or a septic tank; rights of way; assents; and covenants.
Recent examples of how Janice has supported clients include:
- completing the voluntary first registration of the entirety of a landed estate to enable more efficient management;
- purchasing several leasehold properties on a flagship Community Land Trust Development to ensure the properties remain affordable in perpetuity;
- completing surrenders of rights of way over remote railway crossings in return for a compensation payment;
- selling a farmhouse, while retaining rights to lay new services and varying a planning condition to allow the property to be used for non-agricultural purposes; and
- advising on breaches of listed building requirements in the purchase of a large country house.