Jason is an Associate (Lawyer New Zealand Qualified) in the Commercial team.
Advising on a range of commercial and contracting matters, he has expertise in IT/technology, IP licensing, outsourcing, distribution, commercial agency and data protection.
His experiences includes the reviewing, drafting and negotiating of joint ventures, software development, software-as-a-service, software resale, IT outsourcing, distribution, warehousing, commercial agency, manufacturing licence, master services, facilities management and outsourcing agreements. He also advises on data processing and data sharing agreements.
His client’s range from SMEs to large multi-nationals. His experience includes working with, and delivering advice to, in-house legal teams, business teams and upper management.
Jason’s clients describe him as agile and pragmatic - his advice is fit for purpose, answers the question asked and is easy to interpret and understand. He ensures clients know what their next steps are and supports them throughout the process, from preparing the first-draft, to negotiation and through to signing.
Examples of how Jason has supported clients include:
- Fintech banking platform developer - Advising on supplier agreements that provide functionality and support to the platform. This includes guiding the business through its standard contact positions, assisting with internal escalations and negotiating with the supplier;
- UK medical glass manufacturer - Drafted and negotiated a master services agreement for the sanitation, packaging and delivery of COVID-19 vaccine vials for use by a UK vaccine research centre;
- Highway safety products manufacturer - Drafted and negotiated a complex exclusive distribution and manufacturing licence agreement for the use and sale of a novel highway safety system in the UK. Also reviewed and negotiated a distribution and manufacturing licence agreement for the use and sale of the client’s product in the United States and Canada;
- International retail and marketing business - Drafted the client’s standard-form services agreement for use across its UK business. Drafted the client’s contractual risk playbook, used by upper management to assess contract risk for incoming contracts. Have also drafted a joint venture agreement with a data aggregator for a data aggregation project;
- Software developer - Drafted the client’s standard-form software-as-a-service agreement and end-user licence agreement. Also provide ad hoc advice and negotiation assistance on incoming contracts; and
- IT managed services provider - Drafted the client’s standard-form service level agreement. Also provide ad hoc advice and negotiation assistance on incoming contracts.