Nicola is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution team.
She advises on breach of contract and warranty disputes, claims of professional negligence involving architects, design consultants and solicitors, as well as partnership and shareholder disputes.
Nicola is experienced in commercial product liability claims, and she has handled high value disputes over damage arising out of faulty installation of industrial kitchen equipment, refrigeration, guttering and drainage. Having worked for many years with national and global insurance companies, Nicola is an expert in policy coverage issues and advises on business interruption claims (including for COVID-19).
She has also handled several disputes involving the hotel industry, and understands how hotels are operated and matters which impact financial performance. She has advised on related breach of lease obligations, contractual obligations of architects, project managers, and specialist contractors involved in the construction of hotels.
Recent examples of how Nicola has supported clients include:
- obliging the freeholder to undertake circa £7.5 million of repairs on the exterior façade of a landmark hotel in Manchester, as well as payment of injunctive relief and damages, on behalf of the commercial leaseholder in a £150 million mixed use building – see news coverage;
- securing an emergency worldwide freezing injunction, on behalf of a high-net-worth individual, against an investment partner who was trying to disperse assets and avoid satisfying a judgment of circa £1.3 million in damages and costs;
- safeguarding a profit share derived from the sale of companies involved in European development project following the misappropriation of profits during various refinancing and share and company sales;
- ensuring the exit of a problematic director, following a fall out between directors and shareholders, using forensic accountancy to determine a fair valuation of the departing director's shareholding and defending a claim for unfair prejudice towards a minority shareholder;
- successfully defending the commercial leaseholder of hotel premises in a dispute over the reasonable apportionment of the insurance premium between the tenants in a mixed use building; and
- recovering circa £2.5 million for the insurer of a building owner and commercial tenant after losses resulted from a fire arising from defective workmanship on a commercial vehicle.