Paul is a Partner in the Corporate team.
He specialises in corporate mergers and acquisitions, and supports business owners with private equity investments, joint ventures and shareholder agreements, predominantly in the health, social care and medtech sectors. Paul has handled transactions ranging from £5 million to over £100 million and brings an in-depth understanding of the busines model and regulatory environment for health and social care, as well as the interplay between private finance and public contracts.
With a degree in chemical engineering, Paul retains an interest in life sciences and technology and acts for companies developing medtech, health therapeutics or other software solutions.
Paul advises directors in regard to their investment agreements, their duties to their investors and their personal liabilities, particulary in regard to service users. He supports large private companies on governance issues, such as obligations arising from the Wates Review in regard to reporting and developing frameworks to address issues such as modern slavery or diversity and inclusion.
Having spent time as in-house counsel with global document storage giant Iron Mountain and as a solicitor with PWC, Paul has experience of complex group restructuring often working alongside colleagues in tax and treasury teams. This includes coordinating multi-jurisdictional international reorganisiations where it is necessary to achieve a balance between the global objectives and multiple differing national legal frameworks.
Recent examples of how Paul has supported clients include:
- the acquisition of a specialist adult supported living provider group for an infrastructure investment fund;
- the acquisition of a group of six residential care facilities for an established care provision company;
- the acquisition of a supported living business for a social care provider;
- the acquisition of a provider of specialist accommodation and support for vulnerable adults for a national care group;
- the sale of an educational software-as-a-servce company to a private-equity backed global software group;
- advising the management team of a business specialising in controls and automation on the terms of an investment by private equity house Ardenton Partners;
- advising a medtech business on the IP strategy and commercial issues arising from the development of a device which connects endoscopes to an iPhone; and
- advising the directors of Marker AG Group, a Swiss developer of a concussion diagnosis tool and Covid-related blood therapeutics.