Richard is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution team.
Experienced in high-value commercial litigation, including advising on director and shareholder disputes, as well as disputes over the provision of goods and services. Richard always seeks to identify his clients’ real objectives and work out a plan to deliver on those, whether he is acting for an owner-manager of a business where a dispute has arisen between directors and shareholders or in a long standing dispute between relatives of family owned businesses.
In the road transport sector, Richard has a national reputation for both advisory and contentious work on behalf of operators and drivers. Richard supports with applications for operators’ licences (to run goods and passenger vehicles), compliance issues, conduct and criminal liability. He works to preserve or release commercial value for transport operators by mitigating the impact of regulatory action against them, and he conducts most of his own advocacy when representing clients at court, at public inquiries before Traffic Commissioners or in appeals to the Upper Tribunal of the Administrative Appeals Chamber.
Clients include industrial manufacturers, waste management businesses, transport and logistics companies, drivers, owners and operators of HGVs and passenger vehicles.
Recent examples of how Richard has supported clients include:
- advising a director-shareholder in a family business dispute and retaining their shareholding, and therefore ownership, worth several millions of pounds;
- successfully defending claims of breach of fiduciary duty which commenced at circa £30 million;
- successfully achieving the withdrawal of a prosecution by the Crown Prosecution Service against a director of a road haulage company charged with perverting the course of justice in relation to matters arising from a fatal road traffic accident;
- representing a transport manager of a haulage company in managing a police interview under caution and securing the discontinuance of the ensuing prosecution after a vehicle on a road without insurance had been involved in a fatal road traffic accident; and
- helping a client to obtain a goods vehicle operator's licence, despite a difficult history of involvement with licences, which has allowed the client to expand his manufacturing business and unlock significant commercial value.