Elaine is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution and Employment teams.
Working for company owners on the resolution of business disputes whether via negotiation, mediation or court. Elaine is experienced in professional negligence claims where she has acted against architects and surveyors; and breach of contract claims relating to issues as diverse as the validity of personal guarantees, rights to shares under a conditional share purchase agreement, partnership disputes, delivery of software services and support, as well as copyright infringement and passing off.
In addition, Elaine advises on employment law issues including drafting contracts of employment, policies and procedures, advising on redundancies, disciplinary and grievance procedures, TUPE and due diligence in company acquisitions, settlement agreements and employment disputes.
Recent examples of how Elaine has supported clients include:
- successfully settling a professional negligence claim, at mediation, against a surveyors practice which had failed to identify the presence of death watch beetle;
- successfully settling a breach of contract claim on the day of trial for a national provider of funeral services whose employee had received and kept unauthorised overtime payments;
- obtaining compensation for a producer of educational materials for schools for copyright infringement by a competitor;
- advising a software company on a breach of contract claim, after their customer terminated an agreement to purchase software and associated support services;
- negotiating a five-figure settlement on behalf of a senior manager, after his employer had offered a derisory £1 settlement as part of an ill-prepared disciplinary process; and
- advising in regard to employment issues and TUPE implications as part of a company sale.