Garon is Partner in the Dispute Resolution team.
He regularly advises clients across the full range of general commercial dispute issues, including those relating to cross border issues, M&A transactions, professional negligence by commercial advisers, shareholder claims, commercial contractual claims and cyber liability/data breach related issues.
Garon has a particular interest in financial services’ disputes that arise within the banking, pensions and investment sectors. He also acts for firms and senior officers subject to investigation by financial services regulators such as the FCA, the PRA and the FRC, as well as overseas regulatory authorities.
In addition, he advises corporate policyholders on the coverage provided by their commercial insurance programmes and in disputes with their insurers/reinsurers and insurance brokers.
Recent examples of how Garon has supported clients include:
- supporting an IFA business in a post completion M&A dispute with sellers arising out pensions’ mis-selling, pursuing related warranty and indemnity claims, successful Court applications for injunctions to prevent damage to the target business and advising on FCA relationship issues;
- representing an FM business in a post completion dispute with the buyers of one its businesses, which led to an successful independent expert determination on accounting issues, Court proceedings relating to warranty claims and mediation to finally resolve all outstanding disputes;
- advising the trustees of a defined benefit pension scheme on an investigation by The Pensions Regulator, successfully resolving scheme funding negotiations with the sponsoring employer and advising on associated pension trustee liability insurance issues;
- helping clients with issues arising from data breaches, including dealings with/investigations by the Information Commissioner’s Office, cyber insurance coverage issues and handling third party claims/complaints;
- representing various financial services clients, and their senior officers, in investigations and enforcement actions by the FCA, the PRA, the FRC and overseas financial services regulators;
- advising corporate clients on commercial insurance (including business interruption, event cancellation and contractors all risk) coverage issues and related disputes arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic; and
- helping pension trustee clients with their responses to member complaints before the Pensions Ombudsman, advising on related professional negligence claims against the scheme advisers and handling insurance coverage issues.