Helen is a Partner in the Property Litigation and Telecommunications teams.
Experienced in commercial property disputes, including the resolution of dilapidations claims, contested business lease renewals, lease termination through forfeiture, disputes arising out of options and overage agreements, breach of contract or covenant claims. Helen also has experience in telecommunications law and the resolution of disputes concerning telecommunications leases, mast removal or projects to make way for proposed developments.
Working for landlords, tenants, landowners, developers and private and corporate investors.
Recent examples of how Helen has supported clients include:
- securing the removal of a telecommunications mast from a site earmarked for redevelopment in central London, despite the mast operator having extensive security of tenure rights under the provisions of the Electronic Communications Code;
- settling a professional negligence claim for a commercial tenant over the incompetent drafting of a rent review provision in their lease which exposed them to an additional rent liability of £1.5 million, having previously persuaded the landlord to renegotiate the provision in order to mitigate the tenant’s loss;
- clearing a tenanted multi-million-pound redevelopment site by serving lease termination notices which triggered discussions with tenants around early surrender and the grant of new fixed term lettings in order to give the developer certainty as to when vacant possession could be achieved;
- successfully defending a £500,000 terminal dilapidations claim for a commercial tenant by discrediting evidence produced by the landlord’s expert during the course of court proceedings which led to the claim being withdrawn; and
- securing a five year extension to an option agreement for a national housebuilder in the face of stiff opposition from the landowner who wanted the option to expire at the end of its original term so they could sell to someone who would unlock its development value sooner.