James is an Senior Associate in the Corporate and Tax teams.
He has extensive experience in negotiating on behalf of and providing advice to buyers, sellers and management on corporate transactions and providing advice on and implementing employee share schemes.
James has experience in negotiating and liaising with HMRC on a wide variety of other tax matters, and acts for a diverse range of clients including start-ups, listed companies, banks, individuals and other law firms.
Recent examples of how James has supported clients include:
- Drafting and negotiating the tax covenant and warranties given by the shareholders of residential and leisure mooring business, Castle Marinas on their disposal to private equity firm, LDC;
- Drafting and negotiating the tax covenant and warranties given by the shareholders of waste management business, GAE Smith on their trade sale to competitors, Reconomy;
- Advising an individual with a significant share option package in a US listed company on the commercial and tax consequences of him resigning;
- Advising on and implementing an EMI share option scheme as part of a founder’s exit of a long established leisure business in which we were able to achieve a very favourable HMRC valuation which facilitated a structure which had not been previously considered possible; and
- Advising the purchasers on the high profile acquisition of Oldham Athletic AFC from Abdallah Lemsagam.