Joe is a Partner in the Construction team.
He supports clients with the procurement and structuring of construction and engineering projects. He negotiates and drafts agreements to cover all aspects including development, construction and engineering works, professional appointments, project security, supply arrangements, operation and maintenance, utility supply.
He works regularly with JCT building contracts in connection with commercial property projects and other standard form agreements, including NEC, FIDIC and MF/1 contracts for the supply and installation of electrical and mechanical plant and civil engineering projects.
With a background in dispute resolution, Joe is able to steer clients around potential problems and suggest strategies for early management of contract problems and disputes before they throw a project off-track. He can also provide support in connection with formal proceedings including adjudication and arbitration .
Joe’s focus is on (i) commercial property projects including offices, hotels, sports stadia, business parks, distribution facilities and warehouses, data centres and mixed-use developments, and (ii) engineering projects including civil works, infrastructure and process plants in renewable energy generation projects involving solar and hydropower.
He works for a range of clients, including McDonald’s Restaurants, Body Shop International, Frasers Property UK, MEPC, Topland, Keele University, London & Argyll Group and a number of Oxford Colleges.
Recent examples of how Joe has supported clients include:
- drafting and negotiating the main works contract for a real estate investment company in the development of a 15 megawatt solar park near Aylesbury;
- advising on procurement and drafting and negotiating a number of works and maintenance contracts and professional appointments for building works and the installation of an advanced garment handling plant for a fashion retailer at a large warehousing facility in the Midlands;
- drafting and negotiating professional appointments and design & build works contracts and security documents in relation to a complex major refurbishment of Cheltenham House in Cheltenham with multiple existing and new tenants.;
- drafting and negotiating professional appointments and design & build works contracts and security documents on a large number of commercial developments on Milton Park Oxfordshire for MEPC including a development to be occupied by cancer immunotherapy specialists, Immunocore;
- negotiating utility infrastructure agreements with independent distribution network operators in respect of gas and electricity upgrades and supply to land at Silverstone Park Northamptonshire and also electricity upgrade and supply at Milton Park Oxfordshire, in each case for MEPC;
- reviewing issues regarding defects in student accommodation and preparing detailed claim letter. Assisting the client with negotiation and successful settlement of the claim; and
- preparing professional appointments and construction contracts relating to delivery of student accommodation.