Laura is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution team.
She supports clients with all aspects of commercial disputes, including the obtaining of injunctions and freezing orders in large corporate disputes. Her experience includes contractual supply chain disputes, shareholder and director disputes, and intellectual property disputes relating to patents, trademarks and copyright.
With a background in professional indemnity claims, she has experience of representing both individual and insurer clients in relation to claims against solicitors, accountants, architects, surveyors and IFAs where there are allegations of negligent advice.
Experienced in using alternative dispute resolution to maximum effect, her focus is on ensuring that clients do not have to take their matters to trial unnecessarily. However, where there is no other option, her experience of handling large complex disputes for clients that have proceeded to trial and then to the Court of Appeal, ensures she thinks strategically beyond the next step to ensure that the client’s position is enhanced and goals achieved.
By taking a pragmatic and commercial approach, she ensures that the clients’ needs are a priority.
Laura works with individuals, SMEs and PLCs across a range of sectors.
Recent examples of how Laura has supported clients include:
- successfully defending a £35 million pound dispute in the Court of Appeal between siblings involving accusations of a breach of director’s fiduciary duty and dishonesty;
- avoiding bankruptcy and negotiating a settlement for two clinical dental technicians who had built and sold a successful dental practice to a company which claimed £1.2 million for breach of the share purchase agreement;
- reversing a notice of termination of contract in relation to a fixed-term contract that was worth more than £1 million;
- successfully defending 20 film scheme claims brought against one IFA company where insurance cover did not apply; and
- securing a freezing injunction against three employees that were stealing company information and diverting business to their new startup.