Martin is a Partner in the Employment team.
Working with employers, senior executives and sports personalities on all aspects of employment law, Martin specialises in the sports industry advising clubs, players, managers, coaches, administrators and medical professionals on a range of issues relating to the hiring and firing of sports professionals.
Clients include, The Football League, The League Managers Association, The Football Medical Association, Nottingham Forest Football Club and Salford City Reds Rugby League Martin sits on the Board of the Football Medical Association is regularly seconded to the League Managers Association and is a trustee of the the rugby mental health charity Looseheadz.
Supporting clients with contractual negotiations, disciplinary proceedings, handling employment disputes and settlement agreements for departing players and executives.
Examples of how Martin has supported his clients include:
- acting for Henning Berg in his high-profile claim against Blackburn Rovers which netted him (no pun intended!) a payout of £2.25 million for 29 days’ work as the club’s manager;
- representing those caught up in The Telegraph’s 2016 transfer bungs sting:
- securing the highest ever recorded payout (at the time) for the departing chief executive of a local authority;
- negotiating the severance package for the ex CEO of the Football League;
- negotiating the severance package for the ex Chairman of the England Cricket Selectors and
- negotiating the terms of severance for the ex England Rugby U20s Manager.