Martyn is a Partner in the Property Litigation team.
Experienced in commercial property disputes, including those which concern rights of renewal, the exercise of a contractual break, breach of covenant claims, compliance with alienation provisions, non-payment of rent, landlord or tenant insolvency, rights to forfeit and claim relief, and high value or complex contested schedules of dilapidations. Martyn also deals with property disputes arising from commercial contracts, professional negligence claims, commercial and residential land sales, rights of way, right to light and easements.
Working for property owners, commercial landlords and tenants, commercial developers, secured lenders and corporate trusts throughout the UK.
Clients include some of the UK’s largest private companies, government departments, professional services firms, landed estates and high-net-worth individuals.
Recent examples of how Martyn has supported clients include:
- securing an injunction to prevent trespass by squatters of 48 railway arches in Bethnal Green, enabling the owner to carry out improvements which previously frequent incidences of trespass were threating to derail;
- enforcing an order for sale for the Secretary of State on a £70,000 debt which was secured against a North London property valued at £5 million;
- using mediation to settle a £1 million professional negligence claim against a firm of surveyors that had misvalued a development site against which our client, a secured lender, had loaned a substantial sum of money;
- securing a £300,000 payout, and continued rights of occupation for an agreed period of time, on behalf of the tenant of a factory who had faced an aggressive claim for possession from their landlord who had agreed to sell the property on with vacant possession; and
- securing a specific performance order from the High Court on behalf of a college of further education in order to force a financial institution to complete on an agreed land deal in which a site owned by the college was to be acquired.