Michael is a Partner in the Banking and Debt Advisory teams.
Experienced in lending, acquisition finance, refinancing, property and construction finance, invoice discounting and general banking, security matters, priority arrangements, and regulatory issues
Working for numerous banks and building societies in the UK as well as a few overseas lenders (in France, Australia and offshore jurisdictions), ensuring that the security of their loans is adequate and that terms will be enforceable.
Michael also acts for a range of borrowers, including PLCs, housing associations, large private companies and SMEs, in the UK and overseas, and he is experienced in dealing with complex business ownership structures, such as those involving offshore investment vehicles. He advises borrowers on the terms of their loan agreement to ensure that obligations are reasonable, and the business will not have any problems complying over the term of the loan.
Recent examples of how Michael has supported clients include:
- a care home group on a £71 million syndicated facility for acquisitions, development and refinancing of existing facilities;
- a first-class county cricket club on its £2.5 million debt and grant facilities provided by a local council;
- a High Street bank on its £6.5 million funding for the construction of a care home;
- a Chinese funder on the acquisition of a part-drawn £42 million facility and related security;
- the borrower on a £30 million sale and leaseback arrangement and the banking aspects of a related acquisition of a group of companies; and
- a bank on the funding of two hotel acquisitions totalling £31.5 million.