Paul is a Partner in the Corporate and Tax teams.
Paul is a Chartered Accountant and Chartered Tax Advisor. He acts for private equity funds and other alternative investment managers, management teams, portfolio companies, entrepreneurs, family offices and other individuals undertaking transactions.
Experienced in providing advice on the tax issues connected with acquisitions, disposals, restructurings, refinancing, debt and equity raising (including IPOs), demergers and international expansion. This typically includes tax due diligence, deal structuring, reviewing tax clauses in transactional documents, together with more general structuring and accounting advice on deals.
Supporting clients with their Private Equity investors, as well as providing general personal and corporate tax advice. He often deals with the tax issues relating to management incentive schemes including EMI options and sweet equity.
In addition, Paul also advises private equity funds, litigation funds, venture capital trusts, business property relief funds, investment trusts and enterprise incentive scheme investors on their tax issues. This includes advice on setting up funds and carried interest structures as well as their ongoing tax compliance issues.
Recent examples of how Paul has supported clients include:
- structuring the sale of an information technology business for £47 million, following a dual track sale process in which the business was marketed to both trade and private equity buyers;
- carrying out due diligence and ensuring the tax efficient structuring of several acquisitions of portfolio companies for a private equity business in the North East ;
- tax planning for the demerger and refinancing of a recruitment business;
- structuring the sale for a private equity fund of its European investment portfolio to institutional investors; and
- structuring the set up of a new investment fund in the Channel Islands.