Peter is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution and Licensing & Gambling teams.
Peter has significant experience advising on disputes arising in the betting and gaming sector and acts for several of the world’s leading land-based and remote bookmakers.
Peter regularly advises bookmakers in claims involving rights owners, data suppliers and platform providers. He frequently acts in defence of large customer refund claims and betting disputes arising under the Gambling Act 2005. He also provides advice to bookmakers on the Proceeds of Crime Act and claims of alleged receipt of criminal property.
In addition to his work in the gambling industry, Peter acts on a range of general commercial litigation and arbitration, including regular instructions on claims of breach of contract, professional negligence, misrepresentation and shareholder disputes.
Recent examples of how Peter has supported clients include:
- achieving a favourable settlement for a major gambling operator in defence of an alleged breach of a revenue share agreement;
- negotiating the settlement of a claim made against a prominent rights holder in the horse racing industry on behalf of a major UK-based bookmaker;
- successfully advised a UK-based property group in relation to a £20million claim against a FTSE 100 plc for breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation;
- represented a State General Reserve Fund in arbitration proceedings commenced in the ICC International Court of Arbitration, relating to a series of financial irregularities following a multi-million dollar investment; and
- settlement of a claim made on behalf of a major bookmaker following termination of an agreement with a white label supplier of bookmaking services.