Sally is a Partner in the Employment team.
She is experienced in the full spectrum of employment work, with a particular focus on the more complex, high value and/or sensitive matters. Areas of particular expertise include:
- helping businesses manage sensitive and complicated executive terminations;
- conducting and managing external workplace investigations into employee complaints or wrongdoing (particularly those relating to #metoo issues and other bullying and harassment allegations) and/or helping clients to run their own internal investigations;
- defending complex and potentially reputationally-damaging tribunal claims (for example those involving several strands of discrimination, whistleblowing and equal pay allegations) up to Supreme Court level;
- advising on post-termination restrictive covenant issues;
- resolving disputes via negotiated settlements (for both businesses and senior executives) and ACAS arbitrations; and
- managing extensive redundancy and change programmes.
Sally acts for a wide range of household name businesses across several different sectors, including film and entertainment, retail, manufacturing, and transport, such as easyJet, Well Pharmacy and Moneysupermarket. She also advises several local market clients in the North West of England.
Sally provides bespoke in-house training to HR professionals, senior executives and line managers, is a regular speaker at events and contributes to the press.
Recent examples of how Sally has supported clients include:
- carrying out an extensive investigation into a collective grievance brought by several members of a client’s senior leadership team who alleged wrongdoing on the part of the CEO and CFO, producing a detailed report, presenting the findings and recommendations and then assisting with the subsequent disciplinary process and settlement negotiations to exit the CEO and CFO (all whilst minimising the associated PR risks to the business);
- assisting with a redundancy programme for an international manufacturing client, which saw 300 people made redundant, including the Human Resources Director and the General Manager who had to be incentivised to cooperate in the process;
- successfully defending a claim worth over £6million for an airline company brought by a former male pilot for unfair dismissal and sex discrimination, and recovering a significant contribution towards their legal costs; and
- producing and delivering interactive training sessions (and assisting with the production of e-learning modules) to over 100 line managers at a household name client on equality, disciplinary and grievances; absence management; performance management; and recruitment.