930 professionals at Knights service 12,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
John LordOffice Partner
John is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution team.
John focuses on corporate and commercial disputes including breach of contract and tortious claims, civil injunctions, recovery of corporate assets, fraud investigations, shareholder and partnership disputes. He also represents directors and former members of limited liability partnerships when claims are brought against them. John is experienced in litigation in all courts and a number of tribunals and he has a track record for successfully resolving matters at mediation.
John has a diverse client base, acting for two international energy providers, FTSE 100 and Euro 200 companies including leading names in the brewing and leisure sectors, shareholders of SMEs, partners and directors of professional firms.
John is also office leader in Wilmslow, where he is responsible for recruiting and managing new professionals to expand the range of services available locally and nationally. He ensures his team have regular contact with clients to really understand their needs and focus on speedy delivery of advice.
Recent examples of how John has helped clients include:
- safeguarding £10 million of company assets in a cross-border dispute acting for a funder;
- defending 60 partners against charges of alleged wrongful trading and over-drawing claims by a liquidator in a LLP dispute;
- defending a claim based on the "new tort" of malicious prosecution;
- acting for investors in the recovery of sums due to them following a multi-million-pound commodity trading fraud; and
- acting for a company which had incurred substantial losses as a result of the unlawful termination of its franchise agreement.
Joanne is a Partner in the Debt Recovery team.
Joanne's clients range from regional SMEs to national and multinational companies and include E.ON UK Plc, Gazprom Energy, Heineken UK, AB InBev UK and Royal Sun Alliance. She has experience in sectors as diverse as energy and renewables, leisure, retail, insurance, telecoms, general wholesale and manufacturing.
Joanne analyses debtor profiles to focus resources on those most likely to pay, and in using insolvency proceedings to encourage reluctant debtors to come to the negotiating table. She is experienced in the enforcement of contractual guarantor obligations.
For disputed debts, she is a seasoned litigator for clients when needed, but will caution against becoming embroiled in proceedings that are neither commercially nor financially appropriate.
Recent examples of how Joanne has helped clients include:
- recovering nearly £250,000 for a utility company from a debtor who had entered a fixed-price contract but argued that the contract was unenforceable;
- working with a landlord and insolvency practitioner to evict a tenant who had made a habit of claiming other people were responsible for the payment of his business's utility bills; and
- negotiating reimbursement of an insurance payment made to a third party when their insured customer caused an accident while under the influence of drink.
Sara is a Partner in the Debt Recovery team.
Sara advises on business-to-consumer and business-to-business debt recovery, commercial and contractual dispute resolution, and insolvency matters both in the UK and internationally.
Sara acts for a wide range of businesses including public limited companies, small to medium sized enterprises and individuals, across sectors as varied as utilities, recruitment, vehicle and equipment hire, commercial property, construction, manufacturing, and professional services.
Within the credit industry, Sara works with businesses supplying goods or services regularly on credit to a large customer base, and in close partnership with debt recovery agencies.
Sara leads a debt recovery team with extensive experience in managing a high volume of cases in the County Court through a bespoke case management system, offering key performance indicators tailored to client commercial objectives such as milestones in court proceedings and recovery to cost ratios.
Recent examples of how Sara has helped clients include:
- enhancing customer engagement and improving collections for a water utility client by employing a high-volume litigation case management system, working with a debt recovery agency to deliver significant returns;
- recovering a large debt relating to the supply of animal skins, without court proceedings, by successfully disputing a counterclaim for losses allegedly suffered through poor quality goods;
- recovering a complex disputed debt of circa £250,000, without court proceedings, relating to supply of tech services to multiple companies within a group at multiple, different sites and on varying contract terms, by establishing a coherent basis for breach of contract.