930 professionals at Knights service 12,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
Simon is a Partner in the Commercial team.
Simon provides advice on commercial contracts, the exploitation and licensing of intellectual property rights, data protection requirements and legal issues around new technologies.
Simon’s primary focus is on supporting start-up businesses who require help in developing contracts with suppliers and customers, seeking out routes to market using conventional and online platforms, maximising the return on lucrative IP protected processes, procedures, designs and imagery and ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
Simon also works closely with high-growth businesses who need commercial input to support their expansion plans, whether through the root and branch review of contractual arrangements to ensure they remain fit for purpose, the negotiation of new domestic or international contractual agreements, the grant of franchise rights or the appointment of agents and distributors.
Simon works for clients in a broad range of sectors from retail and healthcare to engineering and digital technologies. His clients include Eagle Eye, iVendi, Mobysoft, Godel Technologies and Recipharm.
Simon is particularly experienced in supporting tech companies focused on developing software and cloud-based products such as Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as Service (SaaS) programmes.
Recent examples of how Simon has helped clients include:
- concluding deals on behalf of vehicle finance platform iVendi to provide users with direct access to motor finance deals offered by major lenders;
- negotiating deals for digital loyalty platform Eagle Eye to work with various high street retailers; and
- guiding social housing software specialists Mobysoft on day-to-day legal requirements, including revamping contractual documentation and advising on the changes needed to their policies, procedures, privacy notices and contractual documentation to ensure compliance with UK and EU data protection laws.
Helen is an Associate in the Commercial team.
Helen advises on commercial contracts, drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements on supply and distribution, agency, outsourcing and IT procurement as well as cooperation and service agreements.
Helen’s particular expertise lies in complex and high value IT and data contracts, as well projects relating to new products and services, where she advises on supplier terms, intellectual property rights, end-user terms and privacy.
Helen advises organisations which process personal data, providing legal support to their data protection officers, undertaking data protection audits, advising on subject access requests and data breach response, drafting their data processing and data sharing agreements. Helen also advises on risk-related issues around international data transfers, complex data sharing and joint controller relationships.
Helen acts for corporate technology suppliers and users, software houses, and IT suppliers as well as any non-profit entities such as schools and charities. She regularly collaborates with in-house counsel to provide support on complex projects.
Recent examples of how Helen has helped clients include:
- updating the GDPR variations to the National Schools Contract for the National Association of Independent Schools and Non-Maintained Special Schools (NASS) which were ultimately incorporated into the Department of Education guidance;
- minimising credit and stockholding risk for a fashion manufacturer by advising on brand owners’ guarantee payments and liability for slow-moving or excess stock on the termination of supply contracts; and
- improving IR35 compliance and auditability, in contracts to supply a major logistics company with temporary warehouse and driving labour, redrafting detailed oversight provisions in collaboration with the employment team.