820 professionals at Knights service 10,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
Graham is a Partner in the Banking & Finance team.
Graham has over 18 years experience advising banks and borrowers throughout the UK and internationally on all aspects of banking and finance.
Graham's clients include the leading banks, financial institutions, blue chip companies, PLCs and SMEs.
Graham advises on debt finance and restructuring work, invoice and asset finance, secured and unsecured bilateral and syndicated lending (including Loan Market Association based transactions) and complex inter-creditor issues. He also advises on acquisition finance, invoice discounting and factoring, property and development finance and leveraged and investment grade corporate lending.
Recent examples of how Graham has helped clients include:
- facilitating a finance deal for a premiership football club which had been given a deadline by investors to refinance their facilities or risk insolvency;
- negotiating a seven figure finance deal for the purpose of the development of the prime business area of Manchester city centre;
- acting for a European car manufacturer in their back to back invoice discounting facilities;
- acting for and negotiating the facilities on behalf of numerous premiership football clubs; and
- negotiating the refinance of facilities offered by a syndicate of banks to a national retailer within a strict timescale and within budget.
Michael is a Partner in the Banking and Finance team.
Michael is a Partner in the Banking and Finance team.
Michael advises on lending, acquisition finance, refinancing, property and construction finance, invoice discounting and general banking, security matters, priority arrangements, and regulatory issues
Michael acts for numerous banks and building societies in the UK as well as a few overseas lenders (in France, Australia and offshore jurisdictions), ensuring that the security of their loans is adequate and that terms will be enforceable.
Michael also acts for a range of borrowers, including PLCs, housing associations, large private companies and SMEs, in the UK and overseas, and he is experienced in dealing with complex business ownership structures, such as those involving offshore investment vehicles. He advises borrowers on the terms of their loan agreement to ensure that obligations are reasonable, and the business will not have any problems complying over the term of the loan.
Recent examples of how Michael has helped clients include advising:
- a care home group on a £71 million syndicated facility for acquisitions, development and refinancing of existing facilities;
- a first-class county cricket club on its £2.5 million debt and grant facilities provided by a local council;
- a High Street bank on its £6.5 million funding for the construction of a care home;
- a Chinese funder on the acquisition of a part-drawn £42 million facility and related security;
- the borrower on a £30 million sale and leaseback arrangement and the banking aspects of a related acquisition of a group of companies; and
- a bank on the funding of two hotel acquisitions totalling £31.5 million.
Simon is a Partner in the Banking and Finance team.
Simon assists banks and alternative finance providers with the recovery of commercial loans and facilities and is experienced in dealing with complex, high value cases involving obstructive, elusive and vulnerable debtors.
Simon is a specialist in non-standard secured commercial loan agreements and in disputes arising out of property finance, bridging loans and asset finance arrangements.
Simon advises on secured and unsecured liabilities, asset tracing or preservation, tactics for avoiding a facility falling into negative equity, and on recovery options where a charged asset has been removed from the jurisdiction.
Simon works alongside insolvency firms who have been appointed to manage lender-initiated administrations, fixed charge and LPA receiverships, liquidations and bankruptcies.
Simon also works with well-known commercial lenders who look to him for debt recovery and dispute resolution advice and for help drafting unusual or unconventional finance agreements.
Recent examples of how Simon has helped clients include:
- persuading the partner of a defaulting borrower with mental health problems to agree to the voluntary sale of a property in order to avoid a negative equity situation arising;
- locating and securing the return from Italy of a £300,000 coach, charged to our lender client under an asset finance arrangement, by persuading the UK courts to make a rarely sanctioned creditor’s administration order;
- recovering possession of a property occupied by vulnerable members of a borrower’s family whose existence had not been disclosed to our client at the time a £700,000 commercial loan was approved; and
- securing full repayment of monies owed to two associated lenders by a company under a part-secured, part-unsecured credit facility in circumstances where registration of a third-party charge threatened to make recovery of the unsecured element virtually impossible.
Alistair HaggertySenior Associate
Alistair is a Senior Associate and a Solicitor-Advocate in the Banking & Finance team.
Alistair is experienced in litigating claims through the courts up to and including the Court of Appeal but equally has extensive experience of alternative dispute resolution, achieving commercial and pragmatic settlements via mediation and informal negotiations.
Alistair advises on disputes arising in the context of business banking and finance agreements, over issues including missing or delayed payments, refinancing or re-securitisation, asset tracing, disputes over the validity of personal guarantees, fraud and insolvency.
Alistair assists lender clients in the swift enforcement of defaulting debtors in respect of secured lending, unsecured cash flow and cash advance agreements, pursuing debtors to obtain judgment, and securing charging orders against company property or property owned by company directors – in the UK and overseas.
Alistair acts for a variety of commercial clients including partnerships, LLPs, owner managed SMEs, limited companies, public companies, merchant banks, commercial and tertiary lenders such as peer-to-peer funders, brokers and asset finance companies.
Recent examples of how Alistair has helped clients include:
- tracing, securing and recovering assets with a value in excess of £100,000, plus damages, for an international clothing machine manufacturer;
- recovering a part payment of a loan facility in default to the tune of £1.1 million on behalf of the lender without litigation, satisfying the investors while still enabling the client to pursue the debtor for outstanding sums;
- securing possession of a bankrupt company director’s residential property for a lender, after the company went into liquidation, and ongoing litigation relating to disputed penalty clauses, excessive interest provisions and accelerated payment clauses;
- advising on fraudulent revolving loans on which the debtors had defaulted resulting in the client companies and special purpose vehicle companies entering into administration; and
- successfully quashing an attempt to extract monies from a financial institution in receipt of a threat of legal proceedings concerning non-payment of brokerage commissions in the region of £90,000.