820 professionals at Knights service 10,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
Martin is a Partner in the Business Parks team.
Martin advises property investment and development businesses on a broad range of commercial real estate matters, including acquisitions and disposals, debt securitisation, new build site assembly, city centre redevelopment, asset restructuring, portfolio management and landlord and tenant relations.
Martin acts for private companies in the UK and foreign companies with UK property interests, including pension funds acting through investment vehicles.
Martin’s current clients include leading investment and development business MEPC, property developer and business parks owner Frasers Property UK, and the company behind the development of a new knowledge quarter in Oxford City, Thomas White Oxford.
Recent examples of how Martin has helped clients include:
- supporting MEPC to renegotiate lease terms and secure vacant possession of units at Milton Park in Oxfordshire to pave the way for the creation of a new cancer research campus to be operated by Immunocore;
- managing an ambitious project for Frasers Property UK to standardise the lease terms offered to tenants across five business parks in the south east of England after a £1 billion investment initiative; and
- facilitating the acquisition of a stake in Milton Park by the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board by supporting MEPC through the complex due diligence process and a subsequent unit trust sale.
Richard is a Partner in the Business Parks team.
Richard advises on property investment and development, principally freehold acquisition and transfer of sites, drafting leases, overage and claw back agreements, and on due diligence in corporate transactions. After more than 10 years in-house with an Oxfordshire local authority, Richard has substantial experience in all real estate issues regarding educational property, including site acquisition, disposal, transfer and lettings by academies, foundations and voluntary schools. Richard also has substantial experience on the registration of village greens and commons.
Richard's clients include developers, investors and local authorities.
Recent examples of how Richard has helped clients include:
- safeguarding a village green from development for housing, by demonstrating customary use in sufficient numbers;
- enabling a keen investor to acquire a multi-let property freehold by undertaking necessary due diligence within 24-hours; and
- ensuring the profitable acquisition of a site by re-drafting aggressive provisions for claw back lasting decades that would have rendered the deal worthless.
James CooperSenior Associate
James is a Senior Associate in the Business Parks team.
James advises on commercial real estate matters, including acquisitions and disposals, property investment and refinancing, portfolio and asset management, development options and overage agreements, property due diligence on corporate transactions and landlord and tenant issues including the grant of new leases, pre-let development agreements and complex lease regears.
James also advises on the property aspects of partnership arrangements, particularly within the healthcare sector, with an emphasis on the refinancing of partnership premises and property transfers on partnership buy-ins and buy-outs. He has particular experience in refinancing medical partnerships tied into poor deals with specialist lenders.
James’ clients include property and investment business MEPC and business parks owner Frasers Property UK. He also acts for a number of private companies taking leases of office and retail space, GP surgeries and veterinary practices.
Recent examples of how James has helped clients include:
- supporting Frasers Property UK in the disposal of a £7.5 million development site adjacent to one of their major business parks in a deal which needed to respect complex ecological constraints and ongoing section 106 planning obligations;
- managing lease regears for an institutional landlord to facilitate the relocation of multiple tenants on a business park who needed to move to accommodate their growth;
- negotiating an option agreement for a veterinary practice for the purchase of 11 acres of land to accommodate a new veterinary clinic, subject to planning permission; and
- supporting a property-owning GP partnership in facilitating the retirement of an existing partner, the buy-in of a new partner and a bank refinancing arrangement.
Lavinia OrmerodSenior Associate
Lavinia is a Senior Associate in the Business Parks team.
She advises property owners, investors and developers on commercial real estate matters, including acquisitions and disposals, debt securitisation and refinancing, development and redevelopment, portfolio management and landlord and tenant dealings.
Lavinia’s work spans a range of sectors including retail, distribution, office and industrial. She has particular experience in managing business parks.
Lavinia acts for domestic and international corporates and pension funds with UK property interests. The majority of her clients are institutional landlords, and her current clients include the UK arm of Singapore-based Frasers Property.
Recent examples of how Lavinia has helped clients include:
- securing an option to buy a multi-million pound warehouse on behalf of a major UK food importer and negotiating terms for development following the grant of planning permission;
- acquiring a large industrial estate in Hampshire on behalf of a UK pension fund and overseeing its subsequent management;
- acting for an international property developer in the acquisition of two landmark buildings on Brighton Marina and the subsequent off-plan sale of the residential flats within those buildings; and
- assisting a multi-national building materials company in the sale of a large area of land in Kent to make way for the development of a theme park by London Paramount Resort.
Ariella RubenchikSenior Associate
Ariella is a Senior Associate in the Business Parks team.
She advises property owners and investors regarding commercial real estate matters, with an emphasis on the acquisition, development, management and disposal of large-scale business parks. She deals with landlord and tenant matters, including the grant of new leases, the assignment, surrender and termination of existing leases, licences for change of use and to carry out alterations and pre-let lease arrangements on new build sites.
Ariella also undertakes property due diligence when a company is bought, sold or restructured and has assisted in a number of corporate refinancing projects.
The majority of her clients are institutional landlords and include leading British based property investment and development company MEPC plc, the UK arm of Singapore headquartered property owners, developer and managers Frasers Property, and Oxford Innovation Ltd the managers of the UK’s largest network of innovation centres.
Recent examples of how Ariella has helped clients include:
- completing the acquisition of Silverstone Park in Northamptonshire for MEPC and handling all landlord and tenant legal matters for close to 100 occupied units;
- finalising a series of lettings on a speculative offshoot development by MEPC at Silverstone Park for a number of major Formula 1 and Formula E teams; and
- securing tenants for MEPC’s new 7.6 acre globally recognised science and technology hub at Milton Park in Oxfordshire.
Alexandra is an Associate in the Business Parks team.
She advises on commercial estate management and landlord and tenant matters including the acquisition and disposal of leasehold premises, lease negotiations, rent deposit agreements and guarantees, consents and licences to alter, rent reviews and services charges, the surrender of leases and renewals.
Alexandra is part of a team with responsibility for two very large property investment portfolios based largely within the Thames Valley.
Recent examples of how Alexandra has helped clients include:
- advising on the land aspects of an infrastructure agreement, including negotiating the lease and easements with the energy providers;
- negotiating and drafting documents relating to a utilities relocation project which enabled a client to gain access to an area of development land; and
- acting on behalf of a landlord in relation to the surrender of two long leasehold interests to facilitate redevelopment of the site.