820 professionals at Knights service 10,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
Andrew PilkingtonClient Services Director
Andrew is a Client Services Director.
Andrew has advised on and concluded hundreds of commercial agreements at every stage of the supply chain. He works with clients in sectors as diverse as engineering and energy, business and financial services, leisure, digital and fashion providing strategic support and specific contract advice.
Andrew advises on a wide range of trading arrangements, start-up documentation, outsourcing contracts, franchising, supply, agency or distribution agreements, and e-commerce. Where contracts involve a formal tender process, he advises and provides training on bid strategies and general business risk management.
Andrew is also the office leader in Derby and Leicester where he is responsible for client management and growing and building the team. This includes recruiting, developing and promoting lawyers who share the positive and open culture, and providing ongoing training and coaching.
Recent examples of how Andrew has helped clients include:
- working with an established fashion entrepreneur on the launch of a new vintage-style fashion brand and its commercial agreements; creating a new resales agreement and system for a national franchise business;
- carrying out a fundamental review of the contracts and trading systems for Mortgage Advice Bureau plc; and
- providing day-to-day support for the in-house legal team at a major international engineering company, including the development of a dedicated contract support service.
Becky HarperOffice Partner
Becky is the Office Partner in Stoke.
Becky advises on commercially and strategically important contracts, including general terms and conditions of trading, framework agreements, supply contracts, joint ventures and collaborations, facilities management arrangements, agency and distribution agreements, supply chain contracts, outsourcing arrangements and IT agreements. She also undertakes contract reviews and audits, either as a standalone service or as part of the due diligence process in corporate transactions. In addition, she provides in-house training for clients who wish to ensure the terms of their commercial contracts are fully implemented and followed.
Becky acts for private and public companies, from owner-managed start-ups to established multinationals. She is experienced in a range of sectors, including leisure and entertainment. Her specialism lies in visitor attractions.
Recent examples of how Becky has helped clients include:
- advising a specialist fleet outsourcing company on its long-term supply arrangements with two major automobile manufacturers in contracts worth more than £18 million;
- acting for a Premier League football club in its sponsorship arrangements, including negotiating its technical kit deals;
- advising a world-renowned ceramics manufacturer on the outsourcing of its UK distribution operations to a specialist logistics company; and
- advising the owner of a chain of garden centres on the terms of a multi-site license agreement with Costa Coffee.
Fiona is a Partner in the Commercial team.
She advises businesses on all legal aspects concerning franchising, including contracts, disputes, mediation, resales, international franchising, HR, property and brand issues.
In particular, Fiona advises on:
- setting up and managing franchise networks
- the preparation of master and standard franchise contracts
- regulatory compliance
- the management and removal of underperforming franchisees
- termination of franchise contracts
- enforceability of restrictive covenants
- leveraging the franchise brands
- franchise digital compliance
- franchise data protection
Karen is a Partner in the Commercial team.
Drawing on in-house experience with an international venture capitalist and a University IP team, Karen acts for IT vendors and purchasers in education, retail and e-commerce sectors.
Karen advises clients on all aspects of their commercial contracting arrangements and projects including supply, distribution, agency, licensing, manufacturing, R & D, collaboration, franchising, outsourcing, joint venture and bespoke contracts of all types. She acts for vendors and purchasers of IT products and services including systems acquisition, outsourcing, ASP, software as a service (SaaS), cloud service provision, software development, licensing and support, VAR, e-commerce and web hosting agreements.
Karen drafts and negotiates IP-related contracts relating to materials transfer, clinical trials, licensing and marketing agreements. She has extensive experience of advising clients on data protection compliance and data breaches.
Recent examples of how Karen has helped clients include:
- acquiring a critical enterprise resource planning system for a global aerospace company from a supplier in the US;
- achieving successful business outcomes for a retail space design consultancy; and
- ensuring a motor retailer did not pay fines, compensation or costs of fraud-checking, following a data breach resulting from the theft of a contractor's laptop.
Ian is a Partner in the Commercial team.
Ian advises clients on commercial arrangements of all kinds, including agreements for the sale and purchase of goods and services covering both standard terms and conditions and bespoke contracts, manufacturing agreements, franchising agreements, agency and distribution agreements and outsourcing agreements. He also deals with information technology contracts including software licensing, the supply of software as a service, software support and maintenance and hardware and systems procurement, sponsorship and marketing agreements, and public procurement and funding arrangements.
Ian acts for financial services clients on consumer credit compliance and provides regulatory advice and support in the areas of data protection, advertising and sales, grocery codes of practice, financial services, competition law and gaming.
Ian advises and supports a wide variety of clients ranging from individual designers and entrepreneurs to national and multinational organisations. Recent examples of how Ian has helped clients include:
- advising ValueLicensing, a business specialising in the purchase and re-sale of pre-owned Microsoft products, drafting and advising on a range of contracts and navigating the relevant EU laws and authorities;
- drafting standard service agreements and negotiating bespoke contracts in high value deals for a corporate provider of back office IT support to energy suppliers;
- advising a member of the Freudenberg Group on a sub-contract, forming part of a high value project for the supply of materials in connection with the construction of a nuclear power station; and
- advising a specialist provider of car insurance to young motorists on underwriting documentation produced by a major global insurer.
Simon is a Partner in the Commercial team.
Simon provides advice on commercial contracts, the exploitation and licensing of intellectual property rights, data protection requirements and legal issues around new technologies.
Simon’s primary focus is on supporting start-up businesses who require help in developing contracts with suppliers and customers, seeking out routes to market using conventional and online platforms, maximising the return on lucrative IP protected processes, procedures, designs and imagery and ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
Simon also works closely with high-growth businesses who need commercial input to support their expansion plans, whether through the root and branch review of contractual arrangements to ensure they remain fit for purpose, the negotiation of new domestic or international contractual agreements, the grant of franchise rights or the appointment of agents and distributors.
Simon works for clients in a broad range of sectors from retail and healthcare to engineering and digital technologies. His clients include Eagle Eye, iVendi, Mobysoft, Godel Technologies and Recipharm.
Simon is particularly experienced in supporting tech companies focused on developing software and cloud-based products such as Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as Service (SaaS) programmes.
Recent examples of how Simon has helped clients include:
- concluding deals on behalf of vehicle finance platform iVendi to provide users with direct access to motor finance deals offered by major lenders;
- negotiating deals for digital loyalty platform Eagle Eye to work with various high street retailers; and
- guiding social housing software specialists Mobysoft on day-to-day legal requirements, including revamping contractual documentation and advising on the changes needed to their policies, procedures, privacy notices and contractual documentation to ensure compliance with UK and EU data protection laws.
Katherine DouseSenior Associate
Katherine is a Senior Associate in the Commercial and Data Protection teams.
Katherine advises on business-to-business and business-to-consumer contracts, website and e-commerce contracts including distance selling, cookies and acceptable use requirements. She also prepares software contracts, terms and conditions of trading, framework agreements and service agreements. She advises on data protection and provides onsite audits of clients' processes and procedures to ensure compliance.
Katherine acts for start-ups and more established businesses, including sole traders, partnerships, limited companies and in-house legal teams within PLCs. She has experience across a range of sectors, including travel, technology and engineering.
Recent examples of how Katherine has helped clients include:
• providing day-to-day support for the in-house legal team at a major international engineering company;
• drafting a software as a service agreement for a client keen to manage the input of personal data by customers and to have a clear data protection compliant policy in place where they did;
• advising a travel association on the terms of its contracts with members to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and on the terms of licensing arrangements to maximise reputation and brand protection; and
• advising a manufacturer on the changes required to a distribution agreement to ensure it did not breach competition rules.
Emma FergusonSenior Associate
Emma is a Senior Associate in the Commercial team.
Emma regularly reviews contracts to identify and advise on key risks and reviews and revises standard terms and conditions to ensure they comply with the latest consumer protection legislation. She also advises on and drafts a wide variety of commercial agreements.
Examples include outsourcing of facilities management, cleaning, catering, telecoms and IT support; IT agreements to cover software licensing, support and maintenance; website terms and conditions, privacy and cookie policies and advising on consumer rights in e-commerce.
Emma also advises companies on their import and export arrangements, whether supplying direct, or via an agency or distribution agreement.
Recent examples of how Emma has helped clients include:
• advising a manufacturing company on its supply and distribution arrangements throughout Europe and South Asia;
• preparing supply agreements for a US manufacturer supplying goods into Europe;
• negotiating and drafting the terms of an outsourcing arrangement for a facilities management company supplying services to a hospital.
Stephen GreenSenior Associate
Stephen is a Senior Associate in the Commercial team.
Stephen advises on and negotiates commercial contracts, as well as drafting bespoke commercial arrangements. This extends to agreements for agency or distribution, confidentiality, consultancy, cooperation, event management, infrastructure, outsourced services, sponsorship, software or website development, equipment or venue-hire, intellectual property rights and licensing, software-as-a-service, trade mark licences and standard terms and conditions of trade, service and supply.
Stephen is experienced in contracts negotiated through a formal procurement process, including for the public sector, and has also concluded complex and high-value international and cross-border contracts. Stephen is an experienced commercial contracts lawyer with in-house and secondment experience (including working with major international brands) and has good experience working with Russian and Swiss companies in particular.
Stephen’s clients span a wide range of sectors, from cosmetics and retail through to leisure and hospitality to education, energy, manufacturing and infrastructure.
Recent examples of how Stephen has helped clients include:
- concluding numerous outsourcing contracts for the 2018 FIFA World Cup RussiaTM and FIFA Confederations Cup Russia™ 2017 covering catering, temporary infrastructure and equipment;
- securing agreements with port authorities to facilitate the transportation of biomass to power stations as part of a circa £200 million renewable energy project;
- advising a Swiss company on (i) risk management, (ii) domestic and international compliance particular in relation to data protection and the Bribery Act, and (iii) a number of international contracts with various Russian customers and suppliers; and
- lead adviser to the T20 Caribbean Premier League (CPL), primarily involved drafting, advising on and negotiating various commercial agreements on behalf of CPL (including franchise agreements, sponsorship agreements, stadium agreements, advertising and competition arrangements, hotel agreements, player and coaching contracts, merchandising agreements and team managerial agreements).
Owain JohnSenior Associate
Owain is a Senior Associate in the Commercial and Data Protection teams.
Owain advises on the negotiation and renewal of commercial contracts with customers, consultants, suppliers and distributors, including confidentiality agreements, the supply and development of software apps, software as a service (SAAS), cloud computing and the legal issues around new technologies. His work also includes reviewing contractual obligations for public and private sector tenders.
Having worked inhouse for nearly three years in a data intelligence company, Owain is intimately familiar with GDPR and issues relating to database IP rights, data processing and licensing, data protection and privacy requirements. He also brings a commercial approach, combining project management skills and a drive towards continuous improvement.
Owain has worked for a number of banks, including a digital challenger bank, reviewing a range of commercial and software contracts to ensure compliance with financial services regulations and to mitigate risks.
Owain provides training on commercial contracts and has also delivered courses on equality and diversity.
Recent examples of how Owain has helped clients include:
- drafting a suite of GDPR-compliant data contracts for multiple products and services on behalf of a global plc;
- successfully renegotiated improved licensing arrangements with a companies key suppliers, including BT;
- contribution towards improving legal processes, following a compliance and risk management audit which required the amendment to approximately 20,000 customer agreements; and
- negotiated the terms for multi-million-pound agreements with blue chip clients and government agencies to meet a business’s ambitious financial targets.
Amy OakleySenior Associate
Amy is a Senior Associate in the Corporate and Commercial teams.
Amy advises on corporate and commercial matters, with an emphasis on corporate transactions covering business acquisitions, disposals and mergers, share sales and buy-back arrangements. She also advises on constitution and governance issues, partnership agreements and joint venture documentation. Her commercial work focuses on terms and conditions of trading, service supply agreements, outsourcing and transitional services contracts.
Amy acts for domestic and international private companies, LLPs and partnerships, in sectors including fitness and leisure, healthcare, professional services and agribusiness.
Amy’s clients include the UK’s largest independent hatchery company P D Hook (Hatcheries) and the founders of the company operating as Virgin Experience Days.
Recent examples of how Amy has helped clients include:
- supporting the founders and exiting shareholders of Acorne Limited, trading as ‘Virgin Experience Days’, on a multi-million pound share sale to Inflexion Private Equity;
- facilitating the sale by LA Fitness of 25 gyms to SportsDirect under a series of business and asset disposals;
- creating bespoke and customer-friendly terms and conditions of trading for an online goods hire platform; and
- facilitating multiple business and asset acquisitions for a leading UK food producer and drafting and negotiating the ongoing supply chain contracts.
Charles is an Associate in the Commercial team.
Charles advises on business-to-business and business-to-consumer sales or purchasing contracts and on UK and EU data protection requirements. He negotiates and prepares standard terms and conditions of trading, supply agreements, intellectual property licenses, IT and software contracts, agency and distribution agreements, franchise agreements, and confidentiality and non-disclosure provisions.
His clients range from local SMEs based in and around the Staffordshire area to large domestic and international plcs operating across a range of sectors, including energy, telecommunications, retail, areospace and leisure and entertainment.
Currently he is providing day-to-day and project-based advice to a world-renowned engineering company with business interests in Europe, America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
Recent examples of how Charles has helped clients include:
- supporting a client to automate recurring payments under risk and revenue sharing agreements, by reviewing the arrangements and identifying payment triggers to feed into a customised software algorithm;
- helping to create a suite of contracts to facilitate an agreement for the sale and maintenance of several engines to a new Taiwanese airline; and
- amending the scope of numerous agreements relating to the production of a baseline aircraft engine so that they were wide enough to include an evolved version of the engine.
Sally is an Associate in the Commercial team.
Sally advises on, drafts and negotiates commercial contracts at all stages of the business lifecycle including standard terms and conditions, supply or purchase agreements, agency or distribution agreements and confidentiality agreements. She also advises on terms and conditions and e-commerce obligations for companies who trade online.
Sally also drafts franchise agreements for businesses who are launching a new franchise concept and she advises prospective franchisees when taking on a franchise, buying or selling a franchise business, preparing the sale documentation and advising throughout the transaction.
Sally’s clients include businesses of all sizes from an online fashion start-up to one of the leading engineering brands in the world. She also acts for franchisees and franchisors, from new franchise concepts to some of the largest franchise brands in the UK.
Recent examples of how Sally has helped clients include:
• helping a start-up business to launch an online fashion portal by drafting all relevant e-commerce terms and conditions;
• helping a logistics business to extend its market reach via the development of a new service by providing all supporting online and commercial documentation; and
• creating a consultancy agreement for an international franchise consultant who advises brand owners.