930 professionals at Knights service 12,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
David is a Partner in the Corporate team.
David advises on corporate transactions, with a focus on domestic and international mergers and acquisitions. He works closely with the management teams of rapid growth businesses and with the private equity funders who back them.
David has sector expertise in e-commerce, technology/TMT, logistics, healthcare and particularly retail pharmacies. His clients are corporates, international companies with UK operations and private equity investors.
Recent examples of how David has helped his clients include:
- securing a multi-million-pound investment from NorthEdge Capital in cloud transformation and infrastructure specialists Cloud Technology Solutions to facilitate the tech company’s rapid growth and expansion plans;
- facilitating the sale of a 60 per cent stake in Leicestershire-based packaging business Logson Group to Belfast-based commodities and storage specialists W & R Barnett;
- securing a multi-million pound investment from Beech Tree Private Equity in cloud IT managed services business BCN Group; and
- completing the £39.3 million acquisition of the 36-branch pharmacy division of Assura on behalf of Cohens Chemist.
Gemma is a Partner in the Corporate team.
Gemma advises NHS and private healthcare providers on a range of corporate matters, including business sales and acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, management buy-outs, private equity investment, corporate refinancing and company reorganisations.
Gemma has extensive knowledge of dental and pharmacy businesses, including the regulatory environment within which they operate. She advises on the registration requirements of the General Dental and Pharmaceutical Councils and on NHS contract arrangements, including transfer between service providers.
Gemma’s clients include pharmacists, dentists, opticians, vets, care home operators, day care providers, independent fostering agencies and domiciliary care providers. She also acts for a number of high street banks lending into the healthcare sector.
Current clients include the Dental Care Group and the Dental Beauty Group, and dispensing chemists Z&N Ltd and Wellbeing (United Kingdom) Ltd.
Recent examples of how Gemma has helped clients include:
- the sale of a large mixed practice dental group in a deal worth £10 million with hard negotiations around the ongoing liability for any defective treatment claims;
- supporting a first time buyer in their purchase of a pharmacy business in London, requiring registration with the General Pharmaceutical Council and the transfer of an NHS service contract;
- protecting the interests of a mainstream lender in a refinancing deal with a large dental group borrowing in excess of £16 million; and
- restructuring a mid-sized dental group to secure finance to fund a series of planned acquisitions and to meet ongoing obligations under NHS contract arrangements.
Jonathan is a Partner in the Corporate team.
Jonathan specialises in the health and care sectors, particularly dentists, pharmaceuticals and children's' nurseries where regulatory issues are often important aspects of any deal.
Jonathan also advises businesses on their corporate transactions and commercial matters, including acquisitions and disposals of shares and assets, management buy-ins and buy-outs, restructuring (including hive-ups), private equity investment, share buy-backs and the delisting of public companies.
With regard to commercial trading, Jonathan prepares and negotiates agreements relating to expense sharing, partnership or associate arrangements, shareholders, cross-options, IT outsourcing, software supply, supply of goods or services, terms and conditions of trading, agency or distribution, import or export contracts. He also provides company secretarial drafting including board minutes and resolutions.
Recent examples of how Jonathan has helped clients include:
- breaking the deadlock in the sale of a group of dental practices after the terms of the deal had been agreed but arguments had arisen over details;
- persuading the seller of a children's nursery to accept a smaller up-front payment and the balance in instalments, when our client could not afford to buy the business in any other way; and
- completing a £8 million deal in a short period of time.
Sarah HillebronSenior Associate
Sarah is a Senior Associate in the Corporate team.
Sarah acts for individual healthcare practitioners, corporate groups and their lenders. The majority of her work is with dental practices, and she has also acted on transactions involving pharmacies and veterinary practices.
Sarah advises on sales and acquisitions of individual and group practices, with NHS contracts, private patient lists or a combination. Sarah is skilled at dealing with NHS contract arrangements including transfer between service providers. She is also adept at managing the GDPR and privacy issues associated with transferring patient lists, and advises on the transfer of employees and contracts with self-employed associate dentists and hygienists.
Sarah advises on group reorganisations and refinancing, advising corporates on the conditions and due diligence requests of their new financier.
Recent examples of how Sarah has helped clients include:
- the sale of three dental practices to a large corporate dental chain;
- a series of acquisitions of individual dental practices for a rapidly expanding mid-tier dental corporate; and
- advising the directors of a dental group on their refinancing, including due diligence checks and advising on banking conditions.
Mark SoboljewSenior Associate
Mark is a Senior Associate in the Corporate team.
Mark advises on all aspects of corporate transactions for vendors and purchasers, from due diligence and drafting heads of terms to structuring deals and indemnities that minimise risk or limit exposure to negotiating share purchase agreements. His expertise covers corporate governance from start up to joint venture, but his focus is on healthcare, notably dental practice acquisition and disposal.
Mark handles the whole practice purchase, advising clients on funding, application for registration with the Care Quality Commission, dental contracts with the NHS, practice asset or share transactions.
Mark advises individual dentists buying and selling practices as well as dental corporates acquiring practice portfolios, and he advises small companies across a range of sectors.
Recent examples of how Mark has helped clients include:
• facilitating the purchase of a dentist's first practice advising on funding, due diligence, and assisting with the smooth transition of CQC registration and initial NHS contract;
• enabling a corporate dental group to acquire multiple practices for a portfolio in different locations by undertaking due diligence for each practice to tight deadlines; and
• ensuring a waste disposal business could sell property assets and raise working capital in a way that did not jeopardise its ability to continue trading.
Katie TakenSenior Associate
Katie is a Senior Associate in the Corporate team.
Katie advises businesses in the pharmacy, dental and childcare sectors. She drafts partnership and shareholder agreements for new business start-ups, handles acquisitions and mergers to help businesses grow and negotiates business disposals for retiring owners and those wishing to exit a particular market.
Katie also helps with company incorporation, corporate restructuring and group reorganisations.
Katie’s clients include companies, partnerships and private individuals.
Recent examples of how Katie has helped clients include:
- facilitating the sale of a fostering agency to a private equity firm in a deal worth £4.5 million;
- supporting a pharmacy corporation in the acquisition of a group of three complimentary businesses in a deal worth £2.1 million; and
- completing the complex sale of a dental practice to a large corporate under a scheme requiring a pre-sale hived-up transfer to a parent company in order to minimise tax liabilities.
Daniel is an Associate in the Corporate team
Daniel advises on the negotiation and structuring of commercial and corporate agreements including share or asset sales of purchases (with transaction values between £50,000 and £4 million); management buy-outs or buy-ins; restructuring including hive ups and share buy-backs; company finance, banking arrangements and security for loans. He also advises on shareholder or partnership agreements; as well as cross-option agreements; the supply of goods or services; and terms and conditions of trading.
Daniel acts for owners and directors of SMEs in sectors as diverse as manufacturing and healthcare where he has acted for dentists, pharmacists and opticians. He is a member of NASDAL, the National Association of Specialist Dental Accountants and Lawyers and GMDA, Greater Manchester Dental Advisors.
Recent examples of how Daniel has helped clients include:
- negotiating and advising on the £1.2 million asset purchase of a two-site NHS dental practice, including liaison with the NHS and the Care Quality Commission;
- structuring the retirement sale of an optician’s practice to minimise tax liabilities, with a partial initial share disposal with options, deferred consideration and earn out aggregating to around £1.2 million value;
- advising the owners of a family manufacturing business on the sale of a majority of shares to a management buy-in team; and
- the £4 million sale of an industrial gas business to a large international corporation with some deferred consideration and earn out arrangements.
Louise is an Associate in the Corporate team.
Louise acts for individual sole traders, partnerships and corporate groups in the healthcare sector.
Louise has a great deal of experience in working with dental practices and pharmacies, and advises business owners on reorganisations, financing, sale or acquisition of individual and group practices. Her work involves advising on company structures, share allocations, and partnership issues, such as admitting or exiting partners.
Louise is familiar with the NHS regulatory framework for pharmacy and dental contracts and carries out all the necessary checks and registrations, obtaining appropriate approvals to enable businesses to transfer hands smoothly.
She also advises on the reorganisations of large groups, and advises on lender requirements, mortgages and charges when companies are refinancing.
Recent examples of how Louise has helped clients include:
- supporting a national pharmacy group on the sale of various small business units in the South East as part of a consolidation programme;
- selling a group of dental practices, with NHS and private patient lists, in a deal worth £10 million;
- advising a large pharmacy corporation on the structuring of business units and shareholdings in a group reorganisation.