780 professionals at Knights service 10,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
Karen is a Partner in the Commercial team.
Drawing on in-house experience with an international venture capitalist and a University IP team, Karen acts for IT vendors and purchasers in education, retail and e-commerce sectors.
Karen advises clients on all aspects of their commercial contracting arrangements and projects including supply, distribution, agency, licensing, manufacturing, R & D, collaboration, franchising, outsourcing, joint venture and bespoke contracts of all types. She acts for vendors and purchasers of IT products and services including systems acquisition, outsourcing, ASP, software as a service (SaaS), cloud service provision, software development, licensing and support, VAR, e-commerce and web hosting agreements.
Karen drafts and negotiates IP-related contracts relating to materials transfer, clinical trials, licensing and marketing agreements. She has extensive experience of advising clients on data protection compliance and data breaches.
Recent examples of how Karen has helped clients include:
- acquiring a critical enterprise resource planning system for a global aerospace company from a supplier in the US;
- achieving successful business outcomes for a retail space design consultancy; and
- ensuring a motor retailer did not pay fines, compensation or costs of fraud-checking, following a data breach resulting from the theft of a contractor's laptop.
Hugh is a Partner in the Commercial team.
Hugh advises on commercial contracts, including terms and conditions of business, distribution and supply, franchises, OEM agreements, concessions, service agreements, consultancy, operational management and software development agreements.
Hugh advises on the protection and worldwide exploitation of intellectual property rights, through licensing, franchising, merchandising, sponsorship or research and development collaborations. He helps to create intellectual property strategies, carries out intellectual property audits and due diligence, negotiates IP service agreements, secures rights clearance and pursues cases of alleged rights infringement.
Hugh also advises on data protection, conducting audits and devising compliance programmes, creating data protection policies, assisting with subject access requests, dealing with data breaches or cyber-attacks and communications with the Information Commissioner.
Hugh’s sector experience includes retail, media, e-commerce, technology and franchising. His current clients include Oxford Innovation, Whittard Trading, Specsavers Optical Stores, SMEG (UK) and Toni & Guy.
Recent examples of how Hugh has helped clients include:
- supporting a medical diagnostics company in the rationalisation of their licensing and distribution regime entitling third parties to utilise the company’s intellectual property rights and knowhow in the manufacture and distribution of medical testing kits;
- establishing a pilot programme for a company looking to franchise their business and drafting an operations manual and master franchise agreement;
- defending the trade mark rights of a well-known brand owner by threatening infringement proceedings against businesses which had been associating themselves with the client’s brand when selling online;
- guiding a European appliance manufacturer through the UK data protection rules following a ransomware attack and making representations to the Information Commissioner which resulted in no enforcement action being taken; and
- creating a range of bespoke contractual documentation for a property management company, including profit share contracts, bidding agreements, consortium agreements and operational management agreements.
Simon is a Partner in the Commercial team.
Simon provides advice on commercial contracts, the exploitation and licensing of intellectual property rights, data protection requirements and legal issues around new technologies.
Simon’s primary focus is on supporting start-up businesses who require help in developing contracts with suppliers and customers, seeking out routes to market using conventional and online platforms, maximising the return on lucrative IP protected processes, procedures, designs and imagery and ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
Simon also works closely with high-growth businesses who need commercial input to support their expansion plans, whether through the root and branch review of contractual arrangements to ensure they remain fit for purpose, the negotiation of new domestic or international contractual agreements, the grant of franchise rights or the appointment of agents and distributors.
Simon works for clients in a broad range of sectors from retail and healthcare to engineering and digital technologies. His clients include Eagle Eye, iVendi, Mobysoft, Godel Technologies and Recipharm.
Simon is particularly experienced in supporting tech companies focused on developing software and cloud-based products such as Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as Service (SaaS) programmes.
Recent examples of how Simon has helped clients include:
- concluding deals on behalf of vehicle finance platform iVendi to provide users with direct access to motor finance deals offered by major lenders;
- negotiating deals for digital loyalty platform Eagle Eye to work with various high street retailers; and
- guiding social housing software specialists Mobysoft on day-to-day legal requirements, including revamping contractual documentation and advising on the changes needed to their policies, procedures, privacy notices and contractual documentation to ensure compliance with UK and EU data protection laws.