700 professionals at Knights service 10,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
Gethin is a Partner in the Conveyancing team.
Gethin deals with properties from starter homes and shared ownership apartments, through to celebrity homes and whole housing developments, as well as completing remortgages, transfers of equity, possessory title applications and lease extensions.
Gethin has loyal clients throughout the country, particularly in Chester where he is based and in London where he has dealt with a number of high value properties. He also has a loyal following of estate agents and financial advisers who recommend their clients to him. Knights plc acts for property developers, from site acquisitions by our real estate team through planning and construction, before Gethin and his team deal with the set up work for the plot sales and then the subsequent plot sales.
Recent examples of how Gethin has helped clients include:
• the purchase of a multi-million-pound home in Henley-upon-Thames which has its own island, necessitating the consideration of riparian rights relating to island access, fishing and keeping a boat;
• the purchase of a property for a buying client within two weeks, despite competition, a tight deadline and having to overcome issues relating to building works carried out and the legal title;
• identifying title defects and insisting that the sellers of a house rectify these at their expense to ensure that our client would have a clean title to the property;
• preparation work for the sale of new build apartments in Notting Hill - 12 properties likely to sell for a combined value of £28 million.
Jamie is a Partner in the Conveyancing team.
Jamie advises individual home owners and property investors in buying and selling houses from starter homes and leasehold apartments through to luxury homes and whole apartment blocks. He helps clients to agree shared ownership arrangements and deals with transfers of equity ancillary to inheritance planning or following separation or divorce.
Jamie has also acted for schools, university colleges and local authorities in their property transactions. A significant amount of Jamie's work is for independent property developers building new homes or flats or converting older properties in Oxfordshire and beyond.
Recent examples of how Jamie has helped clients include:
• completing the off-plan purchase of a number of apartments in Battersea for several Dubai-based property investors;
• acting for a number of the University of Oxford Colleges in the management of their property portfolio; the purchase of two blocks of flats for a local authority to provide social housing, including stepping stone accommodation for local homeless people;
• the sale of a development of nine luxury apartments in a converted office space in Brighton.
Harriet BattenSenior Associate
Harriet is a Senior Associate in the Conveyancing team.
Harriet handles the administration involved in the sale and purchase of residential property from starter homes to multi-million pound purchases, with much of her work being properties over £1million. She is experienced in transactions involving registered and unregistered title, freehold and leasehold property, land acquisition through to plot sales, the sale of small residential developments and new build purchases, and in dealing with adverse possession claims, remortgages, and transfers of equity. She has particular expertise in transactions following probate that pass property to beneficiaries under a will, and property transactions when someone dies intestate.
Harriet acts for first time buyers and the general public as well as high-net-worth and notable individuals in music, entertainment and sport.
Recent examples of how Harriet has helped clients include:
• enabling a client to buy a new property by ensuring the timely re-mortgage of an existing property necessary for the purchase, all to tight deadlines for completion; and
• facilitating the sale of a residential plot for a developer by handling, under extreme time pressure, all documentation related to unique restrictive covenants and benefits; and
• ensuring that two daughters living in different jurisdictions could inherit property from their late mother's will by drafting a Declaration of Trust detailing their share, and finalising the property transfer.
Shellie RhodesSenior Associate
Shellie is a Senior Associate in the Conveyancing team.
Shellie acts for regional property developers and house builders on land acquisitions and following such acquisitions she works closely with the developer in preparing all the necessary documentation for the sale of the new build dwellings being either freehold or leasehold.
This includes assisting with the preparation of the development plans, negotiating the infrastructure agreements for the provision of services on sites and drafting the contract and transfer/lease for the sale of new builds.
Shellie also acts for house builders in connection with the sale of new build plots to Housing Associations.
Recent examples of how Shellie has helped clients include:
- supporting a developer’s pre-sale of 900 freehold and leasehold dwellings following its land acquisition, and preparing all documentation taking into account the various different aspects of the numerous phases on the site;
- completing the acquisition of a development site with significant title defects, requiring an adjoining landowner to enter a deed of release of covenants and easements; and
- advising a developer in its purchase of land, conditional on obtaining planning permission and on Severn Trent entering into a deed of release and variation in connection with a sewer pipe running through the site. It was also necessary to obtain suitable indemnity insurance to cover the risk of adjoining land possibly having the benefit of the covenants being released.
Paul is an Associate in the Conveyancing team.
Paul advises in the sale and purchase of freehold and leasehold residential property and in related matters, such as remortgages and the transfers of ownership between spouses, civil partners and cohabitees. He also advises on the bulk acquisition of properties which are to be made available as affordable housing and on specialist, employee-based housing schemes.
Paul acts for private individuals, including high-profile sports personalities, housing associations and a leading university.
Recent examples of how Paul has helped clients include:
• completing the acquisition of a million-pound property in London which had attic and basement extensions requiring extensive structural investigation and confirming that all planning and building regulation requirements had been met;
• securing a £12,800 saving in stamp duty land tax on the purchase of a second home in Wales by claiming multiple dwellings relief for a separate holiday cottage situated in the grounds of the main property;
• breaking the deadlock when a freeholder's failure to deal with pre-contract sale enquiries promptly was threatening to jeopardise the sale; and
• advising worried home owners on the implications of notices received from the Duchy of Lancaster requiring them to agree to the registration of mines and minerals rights against their properties.
Rachel is an Associate in the Conveyancing team.
Rachel handles the sale and purchase of residential freehold and leasehold properties. She is experienced in new builds, older homes, blocks of flats, holiday homes, buy-to-lets and ecclesiastical properties, notably decommissioned churches earmarked for residential redevelopment. She also advises on financing and refinancing arrangements, particularly for clients with a substantial property portfolio. Her expertise encompasses advice on mortgages, remortgages, transfers of equity and government backed initiatives, including shared ownership and help-to-buy schemes.
Rachel acts for individuals and companies and has also acted for pension funds. Current clients include private and corporate portfolio owners, high-net-worth individuals and professional sports personalities.
Recent examples of how Rachel has helped clients include:
• refinancing an £11 million property portfolio to make it more tax efficient and to save the couple who owned it over £11,000 a month in mortgage repayments;
• completing the purchase of a £3 million home for a premiership footballer relocating to the North West;
• persuading a national developer to abandon plans to sell properties on an exclusive development on a leasehold basis, thereby enabling her client to acquire a freehold property; and
• correcting deficiencies in a holiday home lease, on behalf of the tenants, in order to formalise arrangements for the property's management.
Minal is an Associate in the Conveyancing team.
Minal advises high-net-worth clients on land and property acquisitions and sales, contract re-assignments of new builds, sub sales, help to buy purchases and leasehold matters. She negotiates with adjoining owners, the local authority and other third parties; and deals with complex title issues including unregistered land and defective titles, ground rents and service charges, lease variations and extensions.
Minal’s clients range from very-high-net-worth individuals and wealthy investors, to business owners and companies purchasing residential property and land. She also acts for smaller lenders, completing mortgage deals where time is of the essence.
Recent examples of how Minal has helped clients include:
- purchasing a £12m property in Sussex, which includes parcels of unregistered land, also negotiating with the adjoining landowner to transfer land to the clients;
- purchasing an unregistered property with significant title defects; ensuring the seller first secured possessory title of the property at their expense to provide our client with a clean title;
- acquiring a £3.5m previously land-locked property and development rights on the land, following negotiations for a deed of release of covenants and a deed of grant with the local authority to secure rights of access;
- successful contract reassignment of leasehold new build where notice to complete was to be served within two weeks; and
- negotiating deeds of variation of leases on behalf of a leasehold purchaser to implement the legal changes around ground rent increases.
Bernadette is an Associate in the Conveyancing team.
She advises people looking to buy, sell, gift or remortgage residential freehold or leasehold property. She also deals with buy-to-lets, properties held in trust and property which stands to be inherited following death. Her specialism lies in claims for adverse possession, defective title (ownership) of property and restrictive covenants affecting the use of land.
Bernadette acts for first-time buyers trying to get a foot on the property ladder, existing home owners wanting to downsize or move to a larger property, private and commercial landlords dealing with residential investments and executors and trustees responsible for the administration of trusts and estates.
Recent examples of how Bernadette has helped clients include:
• enhancing the value of a plot of land by obtaining indemnity insurance to get around a restriction limiting its development, enabling the plot to be sold with planning permission for the erection of multiple homes;
• securing a lower rate of stamp duty land tax for a property purchased with the benefit of a granny annex by making a claim for multiple dwellings relief;
• successfully completing the complex purchase of an old mill situated alongside a river which was sold with the benefit of fishing and mooring rights and which also came with the obligation to maintain the river bank; and
• persuading the seller of a leasehold property to rectify, at their expense, a provision in the lease which prevented our client from registering their ownership of the property at the Land Registry.