600 professionals at Knights service 10,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
A construction and commercial real estate lawyer.
Deborah advises property developers and occupiers, investors, construction contractors and professionals in negotiating and drafting development agreements, standard and bespoke building contracts (JCT, NEC3, MF/1, IMechE, GC/Works), professional appointments, collateral warranties and construction finance documents.
Deborah also advises on the resolution of disputes over construction projects, by mediation and adjudication or litigation. She is an experienced advocate before the Technology and Construction Court and Arbitrators.
Deborah has been involved in projects as diverse as residential housing, primary health care, and green energies.
Recent examples of how Deborah has helped clients include:
• ensuring that a construction company in dispute over defective work did not have to pay for testing costs, limiting their resources and funding their opponents case, by obtaining an injunction to prevent adjudication proceedings on the testing costs -Twintec Ltd v Volkerfitzpatrick Limited  EWHC 10 (TCC);
• settling a dispute for a contractor with a university over construction delays and disruption; and
• ensuring a Derbyshire house builder could proceed confidently with a large development by creating a suite of agreements covering construction management, collaboration and infrastructure, consultant appointments and collateral warranties.
A dual-qualified construction lawyer and civil engineer with significant industry experience.
In addition to advising on a wide range of transactional issues in construction, Mike specialises in cost-effective strategies for managing, negotiating and settling construction disputes, with experience across all aspects of dispute resolution, including negotiating settlements, pursuing and defending adjudications and arbitrations on behalf of clients, or through proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court. Mike's background as an engineer gives him an acute understanding of the pressures and challenges experienced throughout the supply chain.
Mike advises employers, developers and other professionals, but he has particular experience of acting for contractors and sub-contractors involved in complex heavy infrastructure, power generation, rail and renewable energy projects. Clients include ISG, Npower, Enterprise Managed Services, Amey and Alstom.
Recent examples of how Mike has helped clients include:
• achieving a successful outcome for a national infrastructure contractor in a high-value dispute concerning civil engineering services provided by a subcontractor, in the process avoiding substantial liabilities by providing strategic and practical advice on technical aspects of the NEC3 contract;
• securing the revenue stream of a start-up energy company selling waste-to-energy power by negotiating and amending an EPC contract based on the IChemE red book form of contract and other ancillary documents; and
• defeating claims of up to £30 million against a major energy supplier, preventing further claims and exposure regarding a high value power station environmental upgrade by strategically employing court proceedings based on the correct interpretation of an EPC contract.
Recent reported cases include:
• Dawnus Construction Holdings v Amey LG Ltd  EWHC B13 (TCC)
• ISG Retail Ltd v Castletech Construction Ltd  EWHC 1443 (TCC)
Steve is an associate in the Construction team.
Steve acts for employers, contractors, developers and professionals in both non-contentious and contentious matters.
As a member of the non-contentious construction team, Steve has experience drafting, negotiating and advising clients upon all forms of construction contracts and ancillary documents, building contracts and professional appointments; and regularly reviews and advises upon construction contracts as part of Knights’ contract review service. Steve’s experience includes advising and assisting clients on potential claims and different forms of dispute resolution including adjudication.