930 professionals at Knights service 12,000 clients across the full spectrum of legal & professional services.
Fiona is a Partner in the Conveyancing team.
Fiona advises on the sale and purchase of freehold and leasehold residential property, including new builds, buy-to-let accommodation, houses traded through auction and properties purchased through the government’s Help to Buy scheme or via a shared ownership arrangement.
Fiona also advises on residential remortgaging, equity release plans for homeowners aged 55 and over and defective title issues which require indemnity insurance or Land Registry rectification.
Fiona’s clients are based throughout England and Wales and include private buyers and sellers and commercial entities with residential property portfolios.
Recent examples of how Fiona has helped clients include:
- completing the remortgage of two residential properties in North West England for a buy-to-let investor who wished to use the proceeds to fund the purchase of an additional property;
- resolving an issue were a client owned a Leasehold Title and subsequently purchased the Freehold Title over four years ago but was not registered with the Land Registry;
- procuring a deed of variation for the owner of a leasehold property to convert a provision in their lease which provided for ground rent payments to double every year into one where they increase annually in line with the retail price index; and
- exchanging contracts on a property purchase in the South East within 12 days of the contract pack being provided in order to secure the property for a seller who, for personal reasons, needed to effect completion within a very short timeframe.
Wendy is a Partner in the Residential Property team.
Wendy advises on buying or selling freehold and leasehold houses and flats, the development of land or buildings and complex property issues. She acts for individuals, property developers and local authorities. Her clients range from high-net-worth clients and investors to first-time buyers. Wendy has a large following of clients and receives a lot of her work through recommendations from clients and third parties being architects, independent financial advisers and estate agents. She acts for a number of premier league football players.
Wendy advises property investors on the development of land and, where necessary, has been involved in reconstructing titles and liaising with lenders, agents and management companies working together to sell re-purposed property as residential units from office spaces, barn or farm buildings, hotels, churches, chapels and listed properties. Wendy also undertakes work involving the creation of easements, charges and claims for possessory title.
Recent examples of how Wendy has helped clients include:
- acting for high-net-worth clients in the purchase of mansions in Norfolk and Dorset;
- acting for and guiding a newly formed local authority company in Lincolnshire on the sale of various flats and houses, including drafting the leases, transfers of part and properties bound by planning restrictions in the sale of the plots on its development;
- the reconstruction of titles for a number of flats in a development in Nottingham which was unmarketable, working with the management company and lenders to enable the flats to be sold; and
- acting for a client in the purchase of a particularly unusual property in Bath, resolving issues with title, drainage and planning to achieve a good and marketable title.
Gethin is a Partner in the Conveyancing team.
Gethin deals with properties from starter homes and shared ownership apartments, through to celebrity homes and whole housing developments, as well as completing remortgages, transfers of equity, possessory title applications and lease extensions.
Gethin has loyal clients throughout the country, particularly in Chester where he is based and in London where he has dealt with a number of high value properties. He also has a loyal following of estate agents and financial advisers who recommend their clients to him. Knights plc acts for property developers, from site acquisitions by our real estate team through planning and construction, before Gethin and his team deal with the set up work for the plot sales and then the subsequent plot sales.
Recent examples of how Gethin has helped clients include:
- the purchase of a multi-million-pound home in Henley-upon-Thames which has its own island, necessitating the consideration of riparian rights relating to island access, fishing and keeping a boat;
- the purchase of a property for a buying client within two weeks, despite competition, a tight deadline and having to overcome issues relating to building works carried out and the legal title;
- identifying title defects and insisting that the sellers of a house rectify these at their expense to ensure that our client would have a clean title to the property;
- preparation work for the sale of new build apartments in Notting Hill - 12 properties likely to sell for a combined value of £28 million.
Jamie is a Partner in the Conveyancing team.
Jamie advises individual home owners and property investors in buying and selling houses from starter homes and leasehold apartments through to luxury homes and whole apartment blocks. He helps clients to agree shared ownership arrangements and deals with transfers of equity ancillary to inheritance planning or following separation or divorce.
Jamie has also acted for schools, university colleges and local authorities in their property transactions. A significant amount of Jamie's work is for independent property developers building new homes or flats or converting older properties in Oxfordshire and beyond.
Recent examples of how Jamie has helped clients include:
- completing the off-plan purchase of a number of apartments in Battersea for several Dubai-based property investors;
- acting for a number of the University of Oxford Colleges in the management of their property portfolio; the purchase of two blocks of flats for a local authority to provide social housing, including stepping stone accommodation for local homeless people;
- the sale of a development of nine luxury apartments in a converted office space in Brighton.
Richard is a Partner in the Conveyancing team.
Richard specialises in the purchase of new build and off-plan properties and in the acquisition of residential investments for domestic and international property portfolio owners.
Richard heads up a group of 30 lawyers to provide a complete conveyancing service, which also includes dealing with auction properties, social housing and residential remortgages.
Richard’s clients are professional sports personalities and investors looking to acquire buy-to-let properties, holiday rentals or second homes.
Recent examples of how Richard has helped clients include:
- completing the off-plan purchase of 70 luxury apartments at The Foundry in Digbeth, Birmingham, for a large number of overseas investors;
- completing the off-plan purchase of 12 properties in the redeveloped Hayle Harbour area of Cornwall for a number of UK investors and second home owners; and
- completing the mortgage-funded purchase of a new build property within five days to secure the buyer an attractive discount before the developer’s year end.
Johanna GoddardSenior Associate
Jo is a Senior Associate in the Conveyancing team.
She advises on the sale and purchase of residential freehold and leasehold property, including new builds and buy-to-let investments. She also advises on residential remortgages and transfers of equity.
Her clients are based throughout Nottinghamshire and occasionally further afield. They include private individuals looking to buy or sell their homes and private investors with residential property portfolios.
Recent examples of how Jo has helped clients include:
- tracking down a landlord to secure their agreement to the surrender and regrant of a lease in order to effect changes to an incorrect Land Registry title plan which needed to be rectified before our client’s property could be sold;
- successfully applying to the Land Registry to remove a restriction requiring a certificate of compliance from an uncooperative third party and replacing it with an alternative restriction enabling a conveyancer to provide the necessary certificate so that a subsequent buyer could be registered as proprietor and so avoiding any further difficulties for clients when they choose to sell their property; and
- arranging for an independent representative to attend the home of an elderly seller, from whom our client was proposing to buy, in order to obtain a statutory declaration to establish their use of an unadopted road where no express right of way existed where the seller’s solicitor was being uncooperative.
Carol-Anne GrettonSenior Associate
Carol-Anne is a Senior Associate and heads up the Social Housing team.
Carol-Anne acts for private clients and housing associations on residential conveyancing matters relating to shared ownership and social housing allocations, as well as undertaking standard sales and purchases of residential property.
Carol-Anne’s freehold and leasehold expertise encompasses shared equity schemes, initial and additional share purchases, interim and transfer of final staircasing, as well as memorandums for interim staircasing of flats and all related stamp duty matters.
For housing associations, she reviews right to buy or right to acquire documentation, lease extensions, deeds of surrender and variation, licences to assign, and deeds of easement. Carol-Anne also acts in relation to property disposals at auction, drafting and reviewing conditional contracts in auction packs to ensure they contain the necessary clauses for delayed completion.
Recent examples of how Carol-Anne has helped clients include:
- facilitating the regeneration of 36 hectares of inner London and 1,200 dwellings by ensuring transfer of clear title from multiple right to buy owners back to a housing association;
- successfully adapting a conveyancing template involving grants of rights of way, sewerage, and communal facilities for a housing association’s pilot voluntary right to buy scheme; and
- the timely and efficient preparation of purchase documentation for multiple clients in the first phases of an over-55s development, leading to new instructions by the seller on the sale of the subsequent phases.
Minal ShahSenior Associate
Minal is a Senior Associate in the Conveyancing team.
Minal advises high-net-worth clients on land and property acquisitions and sales, contract re-assignments of new builds, sub sales, help to buy purchases and leasehold matters. She negotiates with adjoining owners, the local authority and other third parties; and deals with complex title issues including unregistered land and defective titles, ground rents and service charges, lease variations and extensions.
Minal’s clients range from very-high-net-worth individuals and wealthy investors, to business owners and companies purchasing residential property and land. She also acts for smaller lenders, completing mortgage deals where time is of the essence.
Recent examples of how Minal has helped clients include:
- purchasing a £12m property in Sussex, which includes parcels of unregistered land, also negotiating with the adjoining landowner to transfer land to the clients;
- purchasing an unregistered property with significant title defects; ensuring the seller first secured possessory title of the property at their expense to provide our client with a clean title;
- acquiring a £3.5m previously land-locked property and development rights on the land, following negotiations for a deed of release of covenants and a deed of grant with the local authority to secure rights of access;
- successful contract reassignment of leasehold new build where notice to complete was to be served within two weeks; and
- negotiating deeds of variation of leases on behalf of a leasehold purchaser to implement the legal changes around ground rent increases.
Danielle CastleLicensed Conveyancer
Danielle is a Licensed Conveyancer in the Conveyancing team.
Danielle advises on freehold and leasehold residential property sales, purchases, new builds, plus remortgaging, gifts and transfers of equity. Her expertise includes handling buy-to-let properties for investors, and properties held in trust for trustees.
Danielle has extensive experience handling both the transfer and sale of property which stands to be inherited following death. She can advise on probate sales by Executors and sales and purchases by Deputy.
Danielle acts for private individuals, investors, and companies. Her current clients include private and corporate portfolio owners, plus high-net-worth individuals.
Recent examples of how Danielle has helped clients include:
- uncovering a defective lease on a property acquisition, and remedying the situation at the seller’s expense;
- carrying out due diligence, preparing the legal pack for a sale at auction and undertaking the conveyancing; and
- helping a client by completing a deed of modification which was required to start construction work as the property had a restrictive covenant which prevented the client making any structural alterations.
Amy is an Associate in the Residential Conveyancing team.
Amy acts for clients in the purchase and sale of residential property, for investors wishing to build their buy-to-let portfolio and for holiday park owners on the sale of their holiday homes.
Amy’s expertise covers freehold and leasehold sales, deeds of surrender and lease variation, new build purchases and the sale of building plots as well as remortgages and transfers of equity. She also advises on staircasing – enabling clients to purchase a progressively greater share of their home through a shared ownership scheme.
In addition Amy undertakes the conveyancing for property sold at auction, preparing and reviewing the legal packs prior to sale, and advising on the particular risks involved.
Recent examples of how Amy has helped clients include:
- ensuring the successful purchase of a property on which finance was obtained one day before proposed completion, and then finalising the transaction three days later;
- preparing an auction pack and carrying out due diligence for a client selling a property with less than a week before the auction; and
- ensuring clean title to a property prior to purchase by insisting problems of insurance provisions acceptable to lenders and landlord covenants within a lease were rectified to avoid complications in any future sale.
Rachel is an Associate in the Conveyancing team.
Rachel handles the sale and purchase of residential freehold and leasehold properties. She is experienced in new builds, older homes, blocks of flats, holiday homes, buy-to-lets and ecclesiastical properties, notably decommissioned churches earmarked for residential redevelopment. She also advises on financing and refinancing arrangements, particularly for clients with a substantial property portfolio. Her expertise encompasses advice on mortgages, remortgages, transfers of equity and government backed initiatives, including shared ownership and help-to-buy schemes.
Rachel acts for individuals and companies and has also acted for pension funds. Current clients include private and corporate portfolio owners, high-net-worth individuals and professional sports personalities.
Recent examples of how Rachel has helped clients include:
• refinancing an £11 million property portfolio to make it more tax efficient and to save the couple who owned it over £11,000 a month in mortgage repayments;
• completing the purchase of a £3 million home for a premiership footballer relocating to the North West;
• persuading a national developer to abandon plans to sell properties on an exclusive development on a leasehold basis, thereby enabling her client to acquire a freehold property; and
• correcting deficiencies in a holiday home lease, on behalf of the tenants, in order to formalise arrangements for the property's management.