Ellen is a Partner in the Corporate and Charities teams.
She advises on corporate matters, including business formation and structuring options, governance, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, investment, company restructuring, group reorganisation, company share sales or buyback arrangements, and business asset disposals.
Her clients include business start-ups and entrepreneurs, owner-managed companies and partnerships, high growth and scale up businesses, investors and large corporate businesses.
In addition, she supports charities, schools, other not for profit organisations and social enterprises, including community interest companies, on structures including trading subsidiaries, incorporation and governance arrangements, constitutional documents, collaboration initiatives and mergers.
Recent examples of how Ellen has supported clients include:
- helping a group of property investment and management company worth £8.7 million with a partial demerger to achieve a tax efficient exit for one of the shareholders and managing the process with the bank;
- as a significant step towards the sellers’ retirement, completing a sale of shares in an online service provider for up to £25 million in very tight timescales involving expertise from the across the firm including technical employment and VAT advice;
- supporting the in-house legal team of a Portuguese investment company on the English legal considerations arising from investments in tech companies;
- supporting an independent school in a merger with a larger school to strengthen its offering and secure the investment needed to fund improved services and continued growth; and
- assisting a very well established village charity with its plans to incorporate in to a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) in order to recruit trustees and make property ownership more straight forward and considering if the charity held any permanent endowment.