Our team support businesses with expert advice on all aspects of gambling regulation, alcohol and entertainment licensing, including obtaining, transferring and protecting licences and supporting their compliance.
We work closely with our colleagues in our regulatory, real estate, corporate, employment, dispute resolution and commercial teams to provide a whole business solution specific to your needs.
Our areas of expertise:
- Managing Personal Licence and Premises licence applications under Licensing Act 2003 and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005;
- Licensing hearings;
- Compliant operation of premises including assisting with operational policies and staff training and licence ‘health checks’;
- Licensing and operation of large scale events, festivals and bespoke venues;
- Regulatory compliance and response to enforcement action including representation in Licence Review proceedings;
- Licensing aspects of the sale / purchase of licensed businesses, including undertaking pre-acquisition due diligence;
- Advising Developers on obtaining multiple provisional premises licences for retail and leisure schemes.
- Licensing issues arising out of administration and insolvency;
- Training - including training accredited by the BIIAB to provide the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holder’s qualification course (APLH); and
- Licensing for a range of ancillary activities including: Special Treatment Licences, Marriage Venue Approval, SEVs, PRS/PPL, Pavement Licences, AWRS etc.
- Applying for and maintaining Gambling Commission issued Operating Licences and Personal Licences for both remote and non-remote, B2B and B2C gambling businesses;
- Compliance with the Gambling Act and requirements of the Gambling Commission including: the Licensing Conditions and Codes of Practice, Social Responsibility, AML, Marketing, etc;
- Requirements for gambling software testing, technical standards and the development of new gambling products;
- Supporting businesses subject to enforcement action, including representing operators and personal licence holders in review proceedings;
- Training staff and directors in support of applications for Personal Licences;
- Acquisition/investment in gambling businesses including: due diligence, Change of Corporate Control Applications and key event reporting;
- Setting up remote and non-remote Small Society and Large Society lotteries;
- Compliant prize competitions and promotions and giving legal opinions for third party service providers (e.g. Facebook and Paypal); and
- Applying for Gambling Premises Licences for: FEC’s, AGCs, Betting Shops, Bingo and Casinos (including 1968 Act and Large and Small Gambling Act 2005 Casinos) and Gaming Permits.
Advising B2B and B2C operators on a range of disputes including:
- Contractual disputes involving suppliers of data for sportsbook and casino products';
- Disputes with white label software suppliers and platform providers including, for example, disputes on revenue share entitlement, functionality, availability and regulatory compliance;
- Disputes with rights holders relating to the provision of licensed content;
- General B2B disputes with suppliers of products and services (coupons, gantry equipment, self-service betting terminals etc.) and other retail estate related disputes;
- Disputes with customers including alleged duty of care claims and general betting disputes;
- Defending withdrawal claims involving suspected third party funding; and
- Dealing with claims asserting the receipt of criminal property, together with handling any regulatory or law enforcement investigation.
A selection of our clients
Licensing and regulatory matters for the UK multiple casino operator.
Castle Rock Brewery
Alcohol and entertainment licensing requirements for the brewery and its public houses.
Alcohol and entertainment licensing advice for the biggest independent live music promoter in the UK.
Alcohol advice and assistance for the Leicestershire based brewery and its estate.
Gambling licensing advice for world leader in family arcades and skill games.
Liquid Light Brewing Company
Supporting the microbrewery business to obtain a new premises licence following a contested application.
Alcohol and gambling advice for the multiple arcade, events and leisure operator.
Motorpoint Arena Nottingham
Alcohol and entertainment licensing requirements provided for 10+ years to the multipurpose arena.
Alcohol licensing advice and staff training for London based coffee shop and bar operator.