David is a Partner in the Licensing & Gambling team.
He has extensive experience in all licensing and gambling regulatory matters including:
Licensing: Management of licensing applications, representing clients subject to review proceedings, undertaking advocacy before the licensing committees and in the Magistrates’ Court. Advising on real estate transactions including, drafting and negotiating conditional agreements for lease and licence transfer requirements, supporting development schemes including obtaining multiple new licences for leisure and retail premises pre-construction.
Gambling: David advises clients on Gambling Commission applications for PML licences, new online and non-remote operating licences for all categories of gambling businesses, change of corporate control applications, representing clients in respect of regulatory action by the Gambling Commission including licence review procedures, advising on regulatory compliance and providing training to employees and directors of gambling businesses.
In addition, David advises clients on marketing promotions, competitions and lottery products. Co-ordination of international gambling law advice for multi-national operators. He also advises on insolvency matters, corporate acquisitions and disposals from a gambling and licensing law perspective.
David supports a wide spectrum of clients ranging from owners and directors of SMEs and start up operators to multi-national PLCs both in the UK and international public and private companies working across a wide range of sectors including retail, hospitality, leisure as well as the online and retail gambling sectors.
Recent examples of how David has supported his clients include:
- advising the Board of a UK gambling business on its acquisition of a Malta based B2B Casino Platform operator;
- working with a Hong Kong Stock Exchange listed business on its proposed £multi-million acquisition of a Mayfair Casino;
- representing the Venue Directors of a national casino chain in respect of the review of their Personal Management Licences by the Gambling Commission ;
- supporting an established UK gambling operator in respect of its development and licensing of a new online gambling offering;
- successfully obtained a new Premises Licence for a boutique hotel operator in the heart of the London Borough of Camden’s Cumulative Impact Policy area;
- working with a prominent national convenience retailer in respect of the licensing of its entire estate of over 300 properties;
- advising several national operators on the licensing requirements for the delivery of alcohol purchased online;
- providing advice on the licensing implications arising out of the insolvency of a national restaurant chain; and
- obtaining multiple premises licences for a leisure scheme for a developer client in advance of construction.