Saleema is a Consultant in the Dispute Resolution team.
She has over 25 years of experience in servicing the aerospace industry and its insurers across a wide range of litigation and arbitration in the UK and around the world.
Saleema supports manufacturers, airlines, other providers and the business aviation community on a wide spectrum of claims, including major losses, personal injury, large scale manufacture disputes, contractual and leasing claims and fraud. She also provides specialist regulatory and coverage advice in this field.
Saleema always seeks to obtain the best practical result for her clients, in the most cost-effective manner. Along with Tim Brymer, she spearheaded the use of anti-suit injunctions to restrain forum shopping following major losses.
As senior legal advisor at Global Aerospace Underwriting Insurance Managers, she was heavily involved in dealing with impact of 9/11 on the insurance and aviation market, including dealing with the UK government in negotiating, drafting and administering the government Troika insurance scheme.
Saleema speaks fluent French and has working knowledge of Spanish.
Significant recent cases include:
- successfully defending a major aircraft manufacturer in relation to alleged defective product and subsequent grounding of aircraft type;
- defending aviation insurers from overseas criminal prosecution arising out of allegations of writing insurance without a licence;
- defending airlines, aircraft operators and their insurers on international major losses including Helios and Atlasjet and Egyptair accidents. She dealt with passenger claims as well as recoveries, arbitrations, apportionment of liability and other aspects of disaster management;
- representing charter operators in disputes with lessees, lessors and in relation to end of lease return of aircraft and engines;
- providing coverage advice on aviation insurance policies;
- providing advice on criminal aspects of major losses;
- advising on the impact of sanctions in relation to the handling of claims in sanctioned territories; and
- dealing with claims brought against civilian aircraft operator in circumstances where aircraft chartered for military flight.