Jackie has extensive experience in providing commercial, straightforward advice to clients on a wide range of both contentious and non-contentious issues. This includes large-scale project work (collective redundancies, changes to terms and conditions and TUPE transfers), executive terminations as well as day to day advice in relation to dismissals, disciplinary and grievance processes and absence management.
She has significant experience in the Employment Tribunal, having successfully defended claims for discrimination, unfair dismissal, whistleblowing, breach of contract and unlawful deductions from wages. She also has experience in the EAT.
Jackie has a particular interest in advising clients in relation to post-termination restrictions and other business protection provisions. She has acted for clients in county court and High Court proceedings, both bringing and defending claims arising from post-termination restrictions.
She predominantly acts for private sector employers ranging from SMEs in the North East to larger national companies, for clients of all sizes in a variety of sectors including financial services, construction, hospitality and manufacturing. She regularly works with owner managers, Board Directors, HRDs, HR teams and line managers, and regularly delivers training for clients.
Examples of how Jackie has supported clients include:
- Defending a national chain of pubs in claims for unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and race and sex discrimination;
- Defending a multi-national company following the dismissal of a senior member of staff for discriminatory and offensive comments on its internal, instant messaging service;
- Advising on a company wide restructure, including the closure of an office;
- Advising a plc in relation to the termination of its Chief Executive and negotiation terms of exit, including detailed provisions in relation to share incentive plans;
- Acting on a client’s behalf in a damages claim for breach by a former employee of his duties of fidelity, confidential information and a non-compete restrictive covenant;
- Providing employment support on a number of acquisitions by way of share purchase for a client in the financial services sector;
- Acting on behalf of a financial services company in a dispute with its former COO over bonus and growth shares. The claim was valued at £6.2 million, with the dispute being mediated to an advantageous resolution for the client;
- Advising the Board of Directors of a high-profile client in relation to a grievance for sexual harassment made against its CEO. Our role included advising in relation to a disciplinary process against the CEO and disciplinary proceedings against two other members of staff in connection with disclosure of confidential information surrounding the grievance. With Jackie’s assistance, the client’s reputation was preserved and no claims received.