James is a Partner in the Landed Estates team.
He specialises in the sale and purchase of farms and agricultural land, including conditional contracts, options, promotion agreements, overage or clawback agreements, agricultural tenancies and financing agricultural land and assets.
Clients include landed estate owners, farmers and agricultural and commercial businesses, who he supports in all aspects of property matters.
James works closely with our tax, planning and mines and minerals teams as well as supporting our asset management team with rural property matters.
Examples of how James has supported clients include:
- Acting for the owner of a landed estate in the surrender of various agricultural tenancies and the grant of new farm business tenancies containing break clauses to enable the manor house and land to be sold.
- Acting in the purchase of a £6.65m farm as part of a team. Responsible for the review of twelve mixed agricultural and business tenancies and negotiating the terms of an overage deed.
- Acting for the owner of a mixed site comprising of a manor house, wedding business and RHS accredited gardens worth over £6m with a refinance.
- Advising a tenant farmer on the surrender of his Agricultural Holdings Act tenancy and the grant of a replacement farm business tenancy and the purchase of barns to the rear of the farmhouse from a landed estate.
- Acting for a tenant farmer purchasing agricultural land for £3m.