James is an Associate in the Property Litigation team.
Experienced in supporting clients on a wide variety of property related disputes, James is frequently instructed by both landlords and tenants of commercial premises in connection with the service of 1954 Act notices and proceedings, dilapidations, alterations, forfeiture, arrears recovery and break notices. In addition, James also supports clients in relation to matters involving commercial and residential possession, easements, boundary disputes, breach of contract, misrepresentation, construction, and trusts of land.
James’ expertise also extends to wider dispute resolution matters arising out of contracts, company/shareholder disputes as well as professional negligence. Clients include property investors, developers, charities, pension funds, asset managers and SMEs in sectors including manufacturing and healthcare.
He supports clients with the prosecution and defence of claims by way of Court proceedings and is well versed in all forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Examples of how James has supported clients include:
- recovering commercial rent arrears on behalf of landlords in respect of rent liabilities arising in periods of lockdown from various high street retailers;
- pursuing commercial tenants on behalf of landlords in connection with the enforcement of lease covenants relating to repair, recently securing several damages payments in excess of £50,000;
- assisting in effecting service of a tenant’s break notice on an urgent basis out of the jurisdiction in Luxembourg;
- securing eviction orders against trespassers; and
- defending and bringing injunctive proceedings brought in connection with interference with proprietary rights, including in matters concerning trespass and interference with easements.