Laura is a Partner in the Employment team.
Laura advises on both contentious and non-contentious employment law, across a wide range of matters, from large projects such as substantial site closures and re-organisations to day to day helpline queries. Laura acts for clients from a range of sectors, including, retail, hospitality, distribution, finance and manufacturing. She also regularly provides bespoke training to clients.
Laura has a significant amount of Tribunal litigation experience, covering each stage of litigation and every type of claim. Her experience includes defending employers in large multi-claimant litigation, the most recent example was an unlawful deduction of wages claim brought by 480 Claimants. She has also advised another employer in a redundancy unfair dismissal claim brought by 200 Claimants and the Union, with considerable press attention and scrutiny from local MPs.
Laura regularly supports clients with longer term projects and investigations, evaluating the risks and advising on mitigation. Recent examples of these include:
- advising several employers on the potential worker/employment status of their ‘self-employed’ drivers, evaluating their circumstances, advising on risk and assisting with making changes to mitigate that risk;
- advising a number of clients on their HMRC National Minimum Wage audits either in assisting them with supporting HMRC on existing audits, or helping to assess risk prior to an audit and putting steps in place to avoid penalties;
- advising private sector clients (including one of the big four supermarkets) on their possible Equal Pay liability, in light of the supermarket class actions currently going through the court system;
- advising clients on changes to terms and conditions and dismissal and re-engagement process, including a large project to amend the bonus scheme for 32,000 employees;
- advising distribution and logistics clients on the TUPE transfer of staff in and out of their businesses and drafting indemnities for the commercial contracts;
- assisting clients in navigating the complex and challenging areas of industrial relations, including advising on industrial action and pay bargaining; and
- negotiating settlement deals and advising on restrictive covenants for senior Directors.