Matt is a Senior Associate in the Property Litigation team.
Qualifying in 2008, he has over 13 years’ experience advising clients on all aspects of commercial and residential property related disputes, including lease renewals, tenant exit strategies, forfeiture, boundary issues, trespass and rent/service charge arrears.
Matt has developed particular specialisms in commercial landlord & tenant, dilapidations, and disputes concerning the development of land covering removal/enforcement of restrictive covenants, scope/enforcement of easements, access disputes, and disputes concerning the interpretation and enforcement of options agreements, overage and conditional contracts.
He works with landlord and tenant property portfolio owners, including household name retailers and corporate business tenants, land owning charities, developers, as well as significant portfolio owning SIPPs and individual land owners.
Matt has regularly lectured at RICS seminar CPD events on the topics of dilapidations and commercial landlord & tenant.
Examples of how Matt has recently supported clients include:
- supporting a landlord in its £3million High Court dilapidations claim involving complex section 18 valuation evidence and arguments;
- working with a developer on its application for modification/discharge of restrictive covenants under section 84 of the Law of Property Act 1925 in the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) to allow its intended development to proceed;
- defending a High Court claim concerning allegations of undue influence under a declaration of trust concerning a residential property;
- successfully obtaining an access order under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 at trial with a full costs recovery; and
- acting for a landowner in respect of a complex tri-party claim for a declaration concerning a drainage easement and a counterclaim for sterilised development land.