Matthew is a Senior Associate in the Planning team.
Matthew is a Chartered Town Planner (Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute) and has detailed knowledge of national planning policy and local authority planning processes. Matthew works with strategic land promoters, developers and private individuals identifying opportunities across sectors and unlocking asset value. He also advises on planning matters including site appraisals, the assembly of planning applications, preparation of planning appeals and management of the planning application process. Having worked in the public and private sectors, Matthew is experienced in managing complex applications and multi-disciplinary teams.
If an application goes to a planning appeal, he prepares statements of case, proofs of evidence and statements of common ground and gives evidence at appeal hearings and public inquiries. Other areas of expertise include representation in regard to local development plans and neighbourhood plans, as well as advice on site promotion strategies.
Recent examples of how Matthew has supported clients include:
- securing planning permission for student housing in the face of initial opposition from the planning authority by identifying ways to overcome objections;
- maximizing the disposal value of a property portfolio of former care homes, by advising on potential new uses and the planning issues arising;
- obtaining permission for housing on a disused open space in a North Wales village, demonstrating suitable open space availability locally;
- planning permission secured for an on-site bar at a bottling and kegging plant in Lancashire, despite restrictions, by applying for mixed-use permission and demonstrating the benefits of local jobs and diversification; and
- permission obtained for an operator of children’s nurseries to increase the permitted number of children at a nursery in a Cheshire town by overcoming noise and highways concerns.