Richard is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution team.
Richard often advises on high-value and complex disputes arising from: breaches of contract, procurement challenges, directors’ breaches of duty and shareholder issues and professional negligence claims.
Experienced in mediation, arbitration and group litigation as well as in securing interim relief (injunctions), he resolves disputes across most sectors including in the health, infrastructure (notably rail) and technology sectors.
Clients range from family-owned businesses to international and high street brands, as well as high-net-worth individuals. Richard is qualified as a Solicitor Advocate and is interested in helping clients to avoid disputes as well as helping to resolve them.
A significant part of Richard’s work relates to the betting & gaming sector both in terms of defending claims brought by customers alleging a breach of duty of care or relating to the non-payment of bets, defending tracing claims and advising on commercial disputes with corporate third parties. In doing so, Richard acts for several global brands in the betting & gaming sector and advises on claims which vary in value from small claims to seven figures, are often in the public-eye and often contain matters of commercial and regulatory sensitivity.
Recent examples of how Richard has supported clients include:
- advising several global brands in the betting & gaming sector in relation to High Court claims brought by former customers as potential “test” cases;
- successfully striking out a claim made against a US sportswear manufacturer in a high-profile brand endorsement dispute with the offshore management company of a Premier League footballer;
- ensuring that a client could commence infrastructure work on time, in a public law and procurement dispute with significant issues of confidentiality, by defeating applications for urgent interim relief;
- successfully settling a £2.5 million claim, made by a liquidator against two high-net-worth former directors for breach of their fiduciary duty, for a fraction of that value;
- pursuing a £1.4 million professional negligence claim against a client’s insurance brokers to a successful settlement at mediation; and
- assisting a travel company to successfully manage its suite of contracts with around 50 suppliers during the Covid-19 pandemic.