Tim is a Consultant in the Aviation team.
He has represented aviation insurers, airlines and manufacturers through his international practice encompassing Europe, Africa, Asia, and South America.
Among other accomplishments, he was responsible for pioneering the use of the common law injunction to restrain forum shopping following aviation disasters.
Tim is heavily involved in high-profile aviation disaster work, regularly acting for aircraft operators and multi-national aviation product manufacturers.
Examples of how Tim has supported clients include:
- Acting for the Government of Malta and their Insurers in relation to the criminal investigation and subsequent civil litigation arising from the Lockerbie disaster in 1988.
- Participating in the investigation into the Concorde loss in Paris in 2000 and subsequently handling the parallel criminal and civil proceedings on behalf of Goodyear and their Insurers.
- Handling the aftermath of the mid-air collision over Uberlingen, Southern Germany between a DHL Boeing 757 and a Baskirian Airlines TU-154 in 2000, together with criminal proceedings brought by the Public Prosecutor in Zurich against Skyguide, on behalf of the Russian and London insurance markets involved.
- Representing Dana Airlines and their Insurers in relation to the total loss of their MD82 aircraft in the suburbs of Lagos, Nigeria in 2012, including handling the civil and criminal proceedings associated with those who perished in the aircraft and on the ground.
- Appointment as an expert by the European Parliamentary Assembly to advise on the civil and criminal liability issues arising from the accident at Smolensk involving the death of President Kaczynski and other members of the Polish Government in 2010 and participating in and presenting papers at hearings in Paris in 2016 convened by PACE (Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe)
Tim originally trained as a commercial pilot at BOAC. He is one of the founding members of the Lawyers Flying Association and maintains a current pilot's license and instrument rating. Tim is also a member of the Guild of Pilots and Air Navigators.