Katie is an Associate in the Tax & Trusts and Wills & Estates teams.
Her main areas of specialism are drafting wills (including inheritance tax planning and planning for the possibility of being in a care home in the future), deceased’s estates, trust management and preparation.
Katie also supports on mental capacity issues, including lasting powers of attorney and deputyship applications and has experience in managing clients’ finances when no suitable friend or family member is available, either as their attorney or deputy.
She is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and a full accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly.
Examples of how Katie has recently supported clients include:
- guiding a business owner with considerable wealth on ways to mitigate inheritance tax, including lifetime gifts and setting up trusts;
- supporting personal representatives in dealing with an estate involving a farming partnership, ensuring that the appropriate inheritance tax reliefs were claimed and the business could continue post death;
- preparing a will for a client to support a spouse and partner and balancing all interests to ensure, as much as possible, minimal risk of a claim post death;
- dealing with this individual’s estate following their death which resulted in a positive outcome financially; and
- dealing with an intestacy with unknown relatives in this country and abroad.