We charge fees for immigration applications which are calculated based on an estimated number of hours’ work, multiplied by our hourly rates. The work will be carried out at Partner level, which is reflected in the fee scope. Current hourly rates for the team are £400 plus VAT per hour as at 1 August 2021.
The costs information provided here is a guide and is not a binding quote for any immigration application you may make. If you instruct Knights plc, you will have been provided, in advance, with a fee estimate based on your particular circumstances.
We request payment on account of the legal costs set out in our scope of services to you. You will need to pay any Home Office or application costs directly. Alternatively, we may pay them on your behalf provided you have settled a monies on account invoice in advance of the application costs being incurred. We have provided links to the relevant Home Office fees below, and further information in the “Disbursements” section, below.
Our Engagement Letter will set out our terms of business including who will handle your application and any other staff members who will assist. We confirm our hourly rates in our Engagement Letter and you will be provided with an estimate of fees for any work.
The typical legal fees set out below are for common types of applications. The fees are per applicant applying and do not include dependants. They are also based on assumptions that the applicant:
- has no prior criminal or civil convictions;
- has no adverse immigration history (UK or worldwide);
- can meet the eligibility criteria for the immigration route they are applying for;
- uses a standard processing route (not priority or super priority); and
- is applying with an application pack of no more than 100 pages.
Sometimes VAT on professional immigration fees is not payable. We will confirm whether VAT (at a rate of 20%) is payable when we are instructed and can work out if VAT is properly chargeable.
Individual immigration Applications
£950 - £3,000 excluding VAT. Likely disbursements are found here with no VAT payable. Additional costs may also be relevant and incurred as set out in “Disbursements”, below.
Applications as the spouse/child of a British national including fiancés and proposed civil partners
£5,000 - £8,000 excluding VAT, depending on complexity. Likely disbursements are found here with no VAT payable. The Immigration Health Surcharge, which is £624 per year of visa, is also payable. Additional costs may also be relevant and incurred as set out in “Disbursements”, below.
Naturalisation or registration for British citizenship
£3,000 - £7,000 excluding VAT. The cost of a British citizenship or registration application depends on the route to citizenship/registration. A list of the application fees and the citizenship ceremony fee is available here with no VAT payable. Additional costs may also be relevant and incurred as set out in “Disbursements”, below.
UK Ancestry visa
£3,500 - £5,500 excluding VAT. Likely disbursements are found here with no VAT payable. In addition, the Immigration Health Surcharge will be payable, which is £624 per year of visa. Additional costs may also be relevant and incurred as set out in “Disbursements”, below.
Points Based System - Tier 5 Temporary worker category (Government Authorised Exchange or Youth Mobility visa)
£1,500 - £4,000 excluding VAT depending on the route chosen. Likely disbursements are found here for Government Authorised Exchange and here for Youth Mobility with no VAT payable. In addition, the Immigration Health Surcharge will be payable, which is £624 per year of visa. Additional costs may also be relevant and incurred as set out in “Disbursements”, below.
Indefinite Leave to Remain application (5 year route)
£3,000 - £5,000 excluding VAT. Likely disbursements are found here. Additional costs may also be relevant and incurred as set out in “Disbursements”, below.
Indefinite Leave to Remain application (10 year route)
£5,000 - £8,000 excluding VAT. Likely disbursements are found here. Additional costs may also be relevant and incurred as set out in “Disbursements”, below.
Global Talent visa
£4,000 - £5,000 excluding VAT for visa application only. Likely disbursements are found here. Additional costs may also be relevant and incurred as set out in “Disbursements”, below.
Not included in the fees
The fees do not include translator or interpreter fees or the Home Office application fees. They also do not include advice in relation to any appeal, should the Home Office refuse your application.
The most recent application fees can be found here. Home Office fees will be paid directly by you as part of the application process.
The work we will undertake include:-
- taking your initial instructions, and advising on the most appropriate immigration route including any other options available to you.
- assessing criteria and eligibility against the Immigration Rules.
- considering supporting evidence and assisting with obtaining additional evidence, if required.
- preparing the application and advising on the submission process.
- preparing supporting representations.
- advising on the outcome of your application including any compliance matters.
How long will my application take?
We cannot advise on the current processing times for applications as this is determined by the Home Office from the date you submit your application. The Home Office current processing times can be found here.
In normal circumstances we would typically expect an application under the Points Based System to take 4 weeks from the date of instruction and 4-6 weeks for a spouse visa, if all supporting documentation is provided promptly. We can provide a more accurate timeframe once we receive your instructions.
The disbursements referenced above include the standard Home Office fees for the relevant visa route. In addition to standard Home Office fees, other possible disbursements for standard applications include:
- Translation fees for documents not in English or Welsh, which are usually payable per character and the cost is variable, depending upon the language and length of document being translated;
- English language test fees or UK ENIC comparability and English language proficiency statements, the cost of which varies depending on country of application and method used to demonstrate your English language skills. UK ENIC is the Government-approved agency that deals with the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills;
- Tuberculosis test certificates for nationals of certain countries, the cost of which varies from country to country;
- Overseas criminal record certificates;
- Courier or tracked delivery charges where required;
- COVID-19 test fees;
- Quarantine/self-isolation hotel fees, where required;
- Bulk photocopying charges;
- Any third party sponsor’s fees, such as on the Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange Scheme) route. These will be confirmed separately, where relevant.
The Home Office’s current processing times for visa applications made outside the UK can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visa-decision-waiting-times-applications-outside-the-uk.
Within the UK, standard processing speeds for applications except British citizenship/registration vary from 24 hours to six months, depending on the application made and any priority payment option chosen. British citizenship or registration applications may take longer than six months to process.
The processing times are an estimate only, are correct at the time of writing and Knights plc has no control over the Home Office’s processing times. Applications can be subject to delay based on various factors including:
- the Home Office’s case volume
- the complexity of the application
- the need for more information
- Immigration Rule changes
- delays caused by COVID-19
- internal Home Office changes (such as digitisation of systems or the closure of centres)
- the need to interview you.
This list is not exhaustive. Equally the processing time may be quicker if you pay for a priority or super priority service, if applicable/available.